NH TC45D No start. Single Click/Clunk and nothing. Seized Engine?

/ NH TC45D No start. Single Click/Clunk and nothing. Seized Engine? #1  

jacksork

Tractor
2002 NH TC45D
2002 NH TC45D. ~1,900 hrs.

I was operating the tractor when a noise started coming from the engine. Seemed almost like a rattling inside. Shut the tractor down and now it won't start nor turn over.

-Turn the key to start and there is a single clink/clunk sound and that is it. No multiple clicks with the starter and engine does not crank/turn over. You can see a slight movement in the fan (moves a few degrees.
-Checked fluids, a little low on oil. Added a quart.
-Load tested battery, clean posts/terminals. Battery tested good.
-Had starter rebuilt by a very reputable shop for the area (needed new contacts, clutch and plunger). Installed and same thing as before.
-Went back to the battery to recheck connections/clean posts/terminals, post came off so replaced battery with new. Checked grounds and everything seems solid. Removed frame ground from battery and reattached. Try to start and same thing as before.
-Applied 12V directly to starter from battery and same single clink/clunk sound.
-I've read that you can/can't rotate the crankshaft by hand. Tried it anyways, wasn't able to move it.

What's left to check/recheck? Is the engine seized?

I'm at a loss on how to proceed and winter is coming. Already had a brief flurry or two.

Last edited:
   / NH TC45D No start. Single Click/Clunk and nothing. Seized Engine? #2  
You should be able to move it by hand. When I grease the driveshafts on my JD 2025r I have to grab the flywheel and rotate it to get at the grease zerk. It takes a little effort but can be done. With a breaker bar it should turn.

You either take it somewhere or crack it open yourself.

/ NH TC45D No start. Single Click/Clunk and nothing. Seized Engine?
Was able to fit a 2' breaker bar. Didn't budge.

/ NH TC45D No start. Single Click/Clunk and nothing. Seized Engine? #4  
If you can access the bolt on the front end of the crankshaft and the transmission is in neutral you should be able to rotate the crankshaft. You could have someone depress the clutch when attempting to rotate the engine. It should not be terribly difficult to rotate.

/ NH TC45D No start. Single Click/Clunk and nothing. Seized Engine? #5  
Another thought, but unlikely, check and make sure the starter hasn’t locked up the motor. It’s a long shot but since you had it off before, I’d remove it again to make sure.

/ NH TC45D No start. Single Click/Clunk and nothing. Seized Engine? #6  
I know nothing about your particular tractor but the sound you describe makes me wonder if something is in the bell housing hanging up in the flywheel. I had a VW clutch come apart, the friction disc, and it got hung up in the gear teeth on the flywheel.
Eric

Removed the starter, couldn't rotate the flywheel by hand. With the starter off I tried a socket/breaker bar again on the crank pulley, no budging.

Had a buddy talk to a retired tractor mechanic who used to work on NH, he said it wasnt uncommon from the description that the oil pump may have gone and the front bearing went.

Will update when more is figured out.

/ NH TC45D No start. Single Click/Clunk and nothing. Seized Engine? #8  
if it is a clutch tractor put it in higher gear and give it. A pull
Might blow something up might not I have seen clutches blow and material get trapped between flywheel and block
Also drop engine oil if. Bearing did seize going to have metallic looking oil

It is a hydrostatic.

Talked to the local dealer, rough estimate of 15-20k to repair if they have to split the tractor and rebuild the engine.

/ NH TC45D No start. Single Click/Clunk and nothing. Seized Engine? #10  
You could use this to check your cylinders or drain oil
and look to see what you have left in the oil pan:
Harbor freight special $20
1699505968089.png

willy