NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #31  
jimg said:
Yup, I can understand that but Ive run into cases when its really in the way esp when getting up close to fences and such. In general any case when having a chunk hanging out front isnt desirable.

I have done the same, but only on really solid, hard ground. Most of the time I leave it on. I am used to the extra lenght so it has not been a problem.
Bob

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad
I appreciate the feedback from everyone - this should be a good "thread" for anyone interested in a TN in general....BUT the TN I was looking at was somewhat sold out from under me....made an offer of $13k he was asking $15k and not having any bites and was a little desparate to move it..figured we meet in the middle (somewhere)....he had someone come along and pay $15k for it...and the tractor IS probably worth the money.....BUT here is my soapbox unless you have that "kind" of cash to pay for one...next step is financing....and financing 15-16k from a bank (payment - wise) would be like buying a brand new tractor... I have always heard don't pay more than 60% for a used tractor (essentially you might have been able to buy a new one)..everyone has different theories (don't want to make payment, don't want that much principal hanging in the wind, "I will never buy a new tractor" pride and so on....
anyway...the search goes on

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #33  
Roper14 said:
I appreciate the feedback from everyone - this should be a good "thread" for anyone interested in a TN in general....BUT the TN I was looking at was somewhat sold out from under me....made an offer of $13k he was asking $15k and not having any bites and was a little desparate to move it..figured we meet in the middle (somewhere)....he had someone come along and pay $15k for it...and the tractor IS probably worth the money.....BUT here is my soapbox unless you have that "kind" of cash to pay for one...next step is financing....and financing 15-16k from a bank (payment - wise) would be like buying a brand new tractor... I have always heard don't pay more than 60% for a used tractor (essentially you might have been able to buy a new one)..everyone has different theories (don't want to make payment, don't want that much principal hanging in the wind, "I will never buy a new tractor" pride and so on....
anyway...the search goes on
Why not check on a new TT60A w/loader from your local dealer? New tractor, low, if any interest. Same engine as the TN series, a little older design to the chassis, i.e. more "low-tech", but a solid tractor. Same can be said for the Deere 5x03 series tractors.

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #34  
Bought the TN65 that was on ebay for 15k that roper14 bid on. Offered the seller $14k and he turned it down flat so you were never in the race roper14. Thought about it and looked at the implements that went with it and figured they would bring at least a grand at the local auction barn and decided it was a good deal. Pullled the BIN trigger. Talked to the seller today and seems like a real honest guy. Would have liked FWA but honestly, I leave the tractor in the barn in bad weather. Looking for reliability and more weight than most compacts. Now, I have to get it home. Can put the tractor with FEL on my trailer but not all the implements. Anyone know of a good transport company that operates around the midwest? Looking forward to having some real power and taking the ole 9N to the auction barn tomorrow.

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad
WeedHopper said:
Bought the TN65 that was on ebay for 15k that roper14 bid on. Offered the seller $14k and he turned it down flat so you were never in the race roper14. Thought about it and looked at the implements that went with it and figured they would bring at least a grand at the local auction barn and decided it was a good deal. Pullled the BIN trigger. Talked to the seller today and seems like a real honest guy. Would have liked FWA but honestly, I leave the tractor in the barn in bad weather. Looking for reliability and more weight than most compacts. Now, I have to get it home. Can put the tractor with FEL on my trailer but not all the implements. Anyone know of a good transport company that operates around the midwest? Looking forward to having some real power and taking the ole 9N to the auction barn tomorrow.

You are right on a few aspects.....you bought the tractor...yet the individual selling the tractor went from $15k no implements to $15k w/all 5 implements in less than a week....(only a bushhog and blade seeming worth using from pictures), others slightly suspect as the rust had not been "scraped" off in a while.....the tractor is worth .... only what a willing buyer and a willing seller can agree upon...how many of you have heard that....may be $5-6k difference from item to item---good luck on selling the other items

you are right about the 4wd....which is the reason why probably 95% of the people replying to this thread own a 4wd....yet I probably would have bought the 2wd also.....supply and demand.....although the 4wd may cost 4 grand more, it may be worth 5 grand more....(see above :cool: whacha gonna pay).....

and lastly even though i am not a dealer, i usually try to calculate the cost of moving the item when purchasing......as far as hauling the tractor...you can either get someone at around $2 a mile or I have heard of (never used) haulingtractors.com (possibly less than a $1 /mile) ...see trying to help:D .....good luck with the tractor....and you are right...to the heck with a compact (and BTW, the bidding on the tractor started at $13,500 with No reserve....who knows....and who really cares... right....except...someone possibly besides neither of the two of us could have bought it for $13,5+)

I thank everyone for their input on the TN's..maybe next time I will buy the stinking tractor first and then ask questions:cool: lol
the search continues.....;)

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #36  
I have been saving my pennies and bidding on a few. Was a nice Mahindra for sale a couple of weeks back and a guy sold a like new Kioti DK45 last Friday for $10,600. I thought that was a sweet deal if it checks out. I'll tell you in a few months how a good a purchase it was. You never know about purchasing something on ebay. Would have to really do something foolish to break a tractor in 255 hours but it is certainly possible. I agree with you on the implements. Pics can be deceiving. The plow looks plenty stout but I have no use for it. The disc isn't of much use to me either and if it has been sitting in one place for too long it could be junk but it is amazing what some implements bring at a good farm auction. :)

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #37  
haulingtractors.com got the used 2003 TN65 with 32LA loader (254 hours for $15K) up here last week. Was supposed to have been parked inside but it looks like it has been outside a good bit. Paint coming off the hood over the muffler like all of the TN series tractors I looked at locally and the seat is beat. You would think that New Holland could put a durable seat on a tractor. Duh! Overall, decent cosmetic condition. Had the QD bucket and fuel tank skid plate options which weren't listed in the auction. :D Starts and runs great like a tractor with 254 hours should. Took it out and did some digging. Pretty happy as it digs better than my Bobcat 853 which weights about the same, has almost the same horsepower but only a 5 foot bucket. After 5 hours I am pretty happy with my purchase. Had been looking at compact tractors but decided to go for a TN instead and believe it was the right decision. No substitute for weight and engine displacement. Now, I get to see if I can recover some dough from the old implements that came with it on Craigslist. Icing on the cake, just sold my old 9N for $1500, which is what I paid for it 12 years ago and put very little in it during that time. If the new TN turns out to be as reliable as the 9N, I will be very happy.

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #38  
I have a 2000 TN65 I bought new. Next time I'm buying a John Deer.

Main hydro line under seat cracked at banjo, hour meter failed at 30 hours and I had to buy a whole new cluster. I called the factory. warranty? they don't need no stinking warranty. Of course there is the famous new holland beep beep beep that only goes off when you are trying to sleep. The paint on the hood and cowling comes off in sheets and the primer is so thin the metal rusts in no time at all. Not a warranty issue. No factory protection for the fuel tank. I am on my third tank and it has been JB welded 3 times.
the wiring is crap and it took me months to find out why it would not crank even though the battery was new. bad terminal on the starter. Fuel level guage works most of the time. I redid all the ground and soldered the lines from the tank. better but not fixed. The plastic on the cowling turned so brittle it literally fell apart when I pushed the throttle forward. when I replace it I found all the terminals were badly corroded. A real pain to make it go back together correctly. I guess they never heard of dielectric grease. The knobs will not stay on the shift levers. implement knobs fell off and replaced. range selector knob and gear selectors both came off and would not stay on. Seat adjustment lever froze up and the forward/back adjustment only works if I am not sitting on the seat but off the machine and pushing it while I operate the release. I had to replace the release lever because it broke where the pin goes through the shaft. The list goes on. This weekend I expect to turn the clock over 450 hours. when it isn't falling apart it works great. The tractor is rated at 48 hp but the shop told me the engine actually pulls 60 hp.

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #39  
gsxrsquid said:
I have a 2000 TN65 I bought new. Next time I'm buying a John Deer.

Main hydro line under seat cracked at banjo, hour meter failed at 30 hours and I had to buy a whole new cluster. I called the factory. warranty? they don't need no stinking warranty. Of course there is the famous new holland beep beep beep that only goes off when you are trying to sleep. The paint on the hood and cowling comes off in sheets and the primer is so thin the metal rusts in no time at all. Not a warranty issue. No factory protection for the fuel tank. I am on my third tank and it has been JB welded 3 times.
the wiring is crap and it took me months to find out why it would not crank even though the battery was new. bad terminal on the starter. Fuel level guage works most of the time. I redid all the ground and soldered the lines from the tank. better but not fixed. The plastic on the cowling turned so brittle it literally fell apart when I pushed the throttle forward. when I replace it I found all the terminals were badly corroded. A real pain to make it go back together correctly. I guess they never heard of dielectric grease. The knobs will not stay on the shift levers. implement knobs fell off and replaced. range selector knob and gear selectors both came off and would not stay on. Seat adjustment lever froze up and the forward/back adjustment only works if I am not sitting on the seat but off the machine and pushing it while I operate the release. I had to replace the release lever because it broke where the pin goes through the shaft. The list goes on. This weekend I expect to turn the clock over 450 hours. when it isn't falling apart it works great. The tractor is rated at 48 hp but the shop told me the engine actually pulls 60 hp.

I know you haven't been happy with your machine but most of the problems you are listing are something I have only heard from you.

Yes, the TN hoods have trouble with the paint (usually over the muffler). My TN was bought in either 1999 or 2000 (I can't remember). The hood paint is a minor annoyance and I am not sure if NH has addressed this.

The seat adjustment that adjust back and forth was a recall item and they were replaced free of charge with a heavier design.

My TN has over 1100 hours. I had a problem with one Neutral Safety Switch as well as a spring clip that made the pto lose power. It didn't cost much to repair.

I have literally drove my TN65 thru 15' red brush. I am constantly cutting back this type of brush every year. I clear about one acre a year minimum where I am worried about either puncturing tires, ripping wires or hoses. I have never punctured a tank but my tank has a guard from the factory. I popped one little spring clip which I bought a new one and fixed. Never tore any wires or hoses out.

I have not been gentle with my TN and it has held up great. There are hundreds of TN series tractors in this area and except for the hood they have a great reputation.

There was a problem early on with the linkages seizing up but again there was a service bulletin that addressed this free of charge.

I wish you the best when you buy a Deere but don't think all of the TN's or New Holland products are the same as what your experiencing.

Also, I have not heard of anyone having trouble with knobs coming off shifters or any of that. The plastic shrouds are in great condition still and the tractor spends a lot of time outdoors as it only spends any length of time in the barn during the winter.

/ NH TN 65 - Looking to buy - looking 4 input good/bad #40  
I have 2 friends with new Deeres and they carp about small and large problems as well. I do think the overall quality of the Shibaura New Hollands is somewhat better than the Fiat built units and the Mexican built units have some rough spots and are looking more like Chinese built tractors. One would think they could do a better job with paint and wiring. The paint is probably attributable to bad or no prep. The wiring is bad engineering combined with second-rate connector vendors. Hey Fiat, why don't you check out the AMP catalog and buy some decent connectors for a product that is typically stored outside? Couldn't add more than $20 to the cost of the tractor. DUH! Instrument clusters failing is ridiculous. The user depends on the instruments to monitor the operating condition of an expensive piece of equipment. They should be durable and designed to last the life of the equipment and for a tractor that means they need to last at least 10 years. Idiot lights that fail in a year or two and hour meters that stop working before they even get to 1000 hours is just wrong. If there were enough angry owners the lawyers would jump in with a class action suit and sooner of later NH owners would get a discount coupon for a new plow:rolleyes: The problem is that tractors are manufactured in relatively small quantities by a relative few manufacturers. There is much less competition than there used to be both at the manufacturers level and the dealer level. The bottom line is that there aren't any perfectly made tractors and if you don't believe me check out any of the other brand forums. As for me, I am fond of blue and bought a TN because of the color, even though it is flaking off:p