NH vs WIX

/ NH vs WIX #1  

davcon

Tractor
TC29
While changing the oil and filter on my TC-29 I realized the WIX filter is much smaller than the stock NH. I think I know which to choose next time.

Attachments

• 2007_0520_094404AA.JPG
    2007_0520_094404AA.JPG
    453 KB · Views: 310
   / NH vs WIX #2  
It is not always the size. There was a time when a Purolater filter starved some Ford engines for oil because the holes were not large enough. The holes have to be as many and the same size. From hearing the Ford story I always buy OEM filters, a few dollars more but a secure feeling.

Al

/ NH vs WIX #3  
davcon said:
While changing the oil and filter on my TC-29 I realized the WIX filter is much smaller than the stock NH. I think I know which to choose next time.

That really is a small filter. New Holland just recently made all their filters smaller (looks like a small one in your photo) and the WIX is smaller than that. The WIX is probably fine, but it sure is tiny.

/ NH vs WIX #4  
The small size will make it a lot easier to change the thing. I know changing the filter on the DX-29 is kind of pain unless you take the loader off and even then it's still hard to get at.

/ NH vs WIX #5  
   / NH vs WIX #6  
Don't know about the WIX filters, but I thought I read that the NH filters have a very high quality synthetic filter material inside them which capture particles, as well as allow a fuller flow through the filter. Our NAPA dealer I believe carries a filter which will work, but it is more expensive than just buying the NH dealer filter.

/ NH vs WIX #7  
Usually a filter manufacturer has two different physical size filters with the same thread pattern etc. Different applications call for different size filters obviously. I bought two filters from the NH dealer at two different visits - the second filter was smaller than the first - the parts dept said they both would work fine. I ended up crossing over to wix/napa/fram. I always try to use the largest filter that will fit. Just my way of doing things.

/ NH vs WIX
DieselPower said:
Umm, probably because that Wix filter is the wrong filter.

Go to WIX filters, WIX oil filters, WIX air filters, WIX fuel filters, WIX Heavy Duty Oil Filters : Filter Look-Up and stick in the NH part number. It gives 51348 as the proper filter.

The 51056 is only 2.707" high and the 51348 is 3.404" high. The 51348 spec's can be found here. Part Detail

Who crossed the filter number for you?

Interesting. I went to the site and typed in both those numbers the TC-29 is listed for both! Hate to admit it but i got it on ebay.

/ NH vs WIX #9  
I never bother with anything but OEM. Cost savings just are not worth the uncertainty.
Bob