NH Workmaster Hydraulic HOT or COLD?

/ NH Workmaster Hydraulic HOT or COLD? #1  

Mitkof

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Workmaster 40
My 2015 NH Workmaster Tractor Owner and PM Manual is totally silent about checking the hydraulic fluid dipstick.
Should the fluid be checked when HOT or COLD? I致e driven many different pieces of equipment over the past 50 years and some dip-sticks are set for cking fluid HOT others are set for cking it COLD.
High end equipment dip-sticks are usually labeled with both HOT and COLD lines.
Anyone know which it is for NH Workmaster hydraulic fluid HOT or COLD? :confused:
Many thanks...

/ NH Workmaster Hydraulic HOT or COLD? #2  
If it's not spec'd in the owner's manual it probably not important. You can stick it hot or cold and the difference is most likely insignificant.

It's basically a just a hydraulic reservoir with a ring and pinion and differential gears running around in it as well as wheel bearings. The rest of the volume is for hydraulics and that's sized to keep the oil temperature within limits. So there's plenty of margin in fluid volume. Neither our Ford 4610 nor our NH TD95D have dipsticks for the rear axle fluid. On the TD95D, you just fill to the lower edge of the fill port. On the 4610, you fill til the fluid come out of a reference port.

/ NH Workmaster Hydraulic HOT or COLD?
Thanks Jerry. On my Workmaster the hydraulic dipstick is in the rear axle. The same fluid reservoir for the axle, HST transmission and front loader hydraulics. I'll call the shop on Friday and ask their service mgr. Funny their manual was silent about an important issue. Like the words Check It HOT, or Check It COLD wasted too much ink.
You're lucky, I really like that Ford 4610, sweet. And you have a Ferguson 30, I punch out hundreds of postholes with my Fergy 30.

/ NH Workmaster Hydraulic HOT or COLD? #4  
Thanks Jerry. On my Workmaster the hydraulic dipstick is in the rear axle. The same fluid reservoir for the axle, HST transmission and front loader hydraulics. I'll call the shop on Friday and ask their service mgr. Funny their manual was silent about an important issue. Like the words Check It HOT, or Check It COLD wasted too much ink.
You're lucky, I really like that Ford 4610, sweet. And you have a Ferguson 30, I punch out hundreds of postholes with my Fergy 30.

I see you're in Western Washington. I lived in Graham, WA before moving to Montana in 2002. As long in the tooth as I am, I appreciate the New Holland in a Montana winter. I'm working on it in the shop so I'm feeding our cows with the 4610. It wasn't fun yesterday. Snowing to beat he** and wind blowing, 25 degrees-brrr!. Gives me a lot of incentive to get the New Holland back into play.

I've been to MT often. Lived on North Fork of Flathead R. for a few years. Water froze up in January -40 and thawed out on Easter Sunday. Brrrrrrr... But loved it. Ran a dog-team trapping marten and beaver. Also lived in Billings, before it boomed into the city it is today. Lived on Otter Ck in Otter MT between Tongue and Powder R. Last trip was 6 months ago and visited friends on Hi-Line at Rudyard, MT. Only problem I have today is an severe allergy to signal lights. Finally found a county with zero signal lights and a county seat with population 580. Peace and quiet...

OK found the solution. Checked hydraulic-tranny fluid dipstick both cold and hot.
Appears LOW fill mark is for cold fluid. The HIGH fill mark is for hot fluid.
Strange the NH Owner-PM Manual did not state that simple fact.
I’ll stamp the low mark-line C and the high mark-line H for cold and hot.