no activity here???

/ no activity here??? #1  

SD_Dave

Tractor
JD-NH
Starting thinking about replacing my tractor with a toolcat and started posting here with questions etc. I have noticed over the past few weeks a continuing decline in posts responses etc.

What's up guys....where did everyone go?

SD-Dave /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ no activity here??? #2  
<font color="blue"> ( What's up guys....where did everyone go? ) </font>

When you only have a few guys owning Toolcats it's pretty obvious this forum would be pretty slow.

/ no activity here??? #3  
Hey, Dave-- we're still here, but Spring is here and we've been outside! Actually I have been outside more and have had less time at the computer. You're correct, the forum has been quiet. Compared to several months ago, when I was making my ToolCat purchase decision, the forum's de facto ringleader, Brian, has been inexplicably absent. (Many members here have expressed concern over Brian's absence, and he might not know it-- one of the aspects of internet community.)

I had a busy week. Here's a recap of my ToolCat use around the farm. I am impressed by the versatility and by how quickly and effectively ToolCat handled several big tasks. I finally used my Bobcat (near finish grade) 72" mower for the first time. I set it to 3 1/2 inch cutting height. I expected it to work well in the meadows, and it did. But it surprised me in how well it worked on a more finished looking lawn I use as a playing field. In the past I had always used my Walker mower with grass catching system on this field, but I mowed it once with the ToolCat and it looks quite good. We'll see if I can live with this when the grass really starts growing fast... that would save me a lot of time.

FYI, someone was asking earlier about how fast you can move forward while mowing. My terrain is not all that perfectly flat that would want to make you drive fast anyway, but my perception is I mowed fairly slowly-- I'd say comparable to my Walker mower, maybe 4 mph.

On my island, two standing dead trees were overhanging the horseshoe pits, so I felled them, cut them into five foot lengths and gathered them easily with my Anbo farm grapple and carried them off the island to the burn pile. I also loaded the dumping bed with debris and dumped it easily.

Speaking of dumping, my Bocat model 10 dump hopper was delivered last week. It's basically like a little dumpster on a pivoting wheel up front. I don't think I'll be loading this with a bucket-- it's a bit small, it only holds a cubic yard or so-- but it looks like it will be handy for relocating piles of demolition debris.

I also used the forklift to offload a 1200 gallon water polyethylene water storage tank. I used a couple of ratchet straps to secure the tank well. I washed and brushed out the inside of the tank. The ToolCat's forklift articulates so well, I could maneuver this huge tank very fluidly and drain the tank really easily. Finally, with four wheel steering I could get the ToolCat into a fairly tight place where I wanted to place the tank.

What's in the future? I sure could use a ToolCat mounted sickle mower-- I may head up to Skidsteer Solutions and demo their product. And I'm ordering a home standby generator that weighs about 1600 pounds. The dealer asked me if I have access to a forklift to offload the genset from the truck. Hmmm. I'm carefully considering the answer to that question!

A week in the life of ToolCat! Cheers from Gadgetnut

/ no activity here???
Guys

First thanks for letting me know some of you are still out there. I do realize this is a small community but judging from past postings it just seemed overly quiet as of late. I am also in the process of deciding on buying a toolcat and as such sucking up all possible info available. Additionally we are now is what is affectionately called in the upper northeast as “the dumb season”. Secondary roads are posted for frost damage so no heavy moving of equipment, field are getting very wet so equipment usage is kept to a minimum to avoid getting stuck or just making a mess of field and equipment.

Gaget...sounds like your usage and mine are fairly similar. I too have small gentlemen style farm, toolcat usage will be for landscaping projects moving trailers, property maintenance and two huge tasks mowing in summer (5+ acres) and snow removal in winter (2000ft+ of paved roadway). I have demoed the toolcat in snow and it works awesome. Also the guys over at plowsite.com have huge info posted on toolcat plowing …all real good. As for mowing there is little posted though the experts from Bobcat say snow and grass are the toolcats two main fortays. My green belt around my main house and guest house are professionally mowed by others. My mowing is about 5+ acres weekly of surrounding fields and barn areas. All are even terrain with no issues. They have been mowed for 3 years now with a 90” finish mower on a tractor. It mows easily at 6.5mph with a “golf course” rough appearance when done. Do you feel that similar is possible with Toolcat? If it can mow at similar speed and quality it is a done deal. I most likely and going to roll the dice on it if my tractor sells. Just nice to hear some non-biased feed back from actual owners.

Keep up the posts I enjoy them thoroughly.

SD-Dave

Ps. Sorry to hear about Brian…his previous posts were excellent…anyone have any ideas? Didn’t get sent and/or take a job in the Gulf-Iraq-etc?

/ no activity here??? #5  
I'll chime in here also..... been getting very close to a TC purchase mainly for snow removal, gereral large property maintenence, plus the go-fer on residential construction and following a mid-sized excavator for general landscape prep.

Probably keep my PT-1845 for the real steep terrain/deep forest tasks but may sell off some of the other attachments that would be better served by the TC. Finish mowing is one of least likely tasks for my application though. May rent a rough-cut mower for the TC once or twice a year to keep some undeveloped property looking decent however.

Choices...Choices!!

/ no activity here??? #6  
I haven't broke out the mower yet but within a month or so it will be the start of the mowing season here.

Here is rundown of what I have used it for (used nearly everyday recently) in the short time I have owned it:

- Used the utility grapple to haul brush/limbs cleared from fencelines and various areas. The utility grapple works very well and the Toolcat handles everything I pick up on various types of terrain.

- Used the utility grapple to load manure mixed with hay. Experienced the limited rollback capability when trying to push the manure from one side of the spreader to the other.

- Used the utility grapple to feed a round bale of hay. Again experienced the limited rollback when trying to push to bale.

- Finished the basic fabrication on a tree/post puller and in the process of 'testing' I used it to pull way too many trees/posts before I bent one of the arms (next time I finish all the bracing before getting too carried away, urgh).

Overall I am tickled with the unit. I still can't imagine mowing at 6.5 mph like you do with your tractor but I don't mow that fast with my tractor either. I don't have any reason to think it will not do a good job at that speed I just wouldn't be comfortable running it over my ground that fast due to the bouncing around.

In the near future I will be using it to haul a 25 gal. boom sprayer during a controlled burn on approx 5 acres (winding thru 55 acres of CRP). Next I will be pulling a 4-row planter to plant approx 3 acres of food plots and then using the boom sprayer to spray herbicide on the foodplots.

dsb

/ no activity here???
DSB

Thanks for the informative update…

A couple questions from your list

• What is the limited roll back issue…is it bad or good? If so how much of an issue is it?
• The areas I mow are quite level and have very few rough sections,that is why I can mow at a decent rate of speed. With the toolcat having suspension I would assume it to ride better than a tractor…what is your opinion?
• Lastly how well does the machine handle soft wet ground, does it tear it up, make large ruts, get stuck?

Thanks for the help and guidance.

SD-Dave

/ no activity here??? #8  
SD-Dave,

In the attached pic the grapple is rolled all the way forward. Now imagine that the bottom tines are inside of a manure spreader and you need to push the load to the center or opposite side of the spreader. It won't do it unless you can lift higher to reduce the amount of material you move. If you are already at full height then you need to backup as you roll the grapple up. The same scenario would be loading dirt on a trailer with a bucket and you need to roll the bucket to distribute the load on the trailer. My understanding is the 'C' series uses a different curl mechanism that improves the rollback force.

dsb

Attachments

• 852364-P1010043_640x480.jpg
    852364-P1010043_640x480.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 209
   / no activity here??? #9  
SD-Dave,

Given the longer wheelbase and much larger tires on my Ag tractor I don't believe the Toolcat will ride smoother over rough ground. With that said, I will be using the Toolcat in the same areas that the Ag tractor was used. It's hard to judge how the speed will compare until I have done it a fews times. That will be happening over the coming months.

We have similar conditions here, roads are posted and we received enough moisture that you pay attention to where you are going. Attached is a pic of one of the areas I have been cleaning up so I can get thru with the Toolcat to mow. The HPX Gator leaves tire prints in it while the Toolcat leaves up to a couple inch depressions. The Ag tractor would leave some nice R1 imprints and nice divots from the front tires when turning. Normally in these conditions I would not bring the Ag tractor in this area while it is still wet. I've been all over it with the Toolcat but I will have some cleanup from the small ruts. What damage there is was caused by ground pressure not turning. It will spin right around on sod and leave little, if any, marks.

The maneuverability, versatility and operation of the Toolcat is what really makes it stand out. It's a kick to work with.

dsb

Attachments

• 852408-P1010046_640x480.jpg
    852408-P1010046_640x480.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 199
   / no activity here??? #10  
Another pic .....

Attachments

• 852412-P1010044_640x480.jpg
    852412-P1010044_640x480.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 220