No Better Way to Use Up Birdshots

/ No Better Way to Use Up Birdshots #1  

QueBota

Gold Member
Tractor
B2910
Mourning doves are a tough shot, maybe I'm just getting older. They seem to be learning new tricks, sure can make you look silly, but it's lots of fun. Great to be out in the field with my buddies again. Been having some real nice "fall like" weather lately. Beats the heck out of the hot, humid summers here in the People's Republik.

Q

/ No Better Way to Use Up Birdshots #2  
When I was young my brother and I would take 12 shells each and come home with enough for supper, if we took a box of shells each we almost always came home empty handed. I have not dove hunted in years but it sure was fun. Ed

/ No Better Way to Use Up Birdshots #3  
I used to hunt doves, emphasis on the word "hunt". My percentage wasn't very good; I was much better at shooting quail and they were a lot better eating, in my opinion. Besides, I guess I'm getting old, but they are such pretty and gentle creatures that I finally got to the point I couldn't bear to kill them any more. The most fun was just getting out!

/ No Better Way to Use Up Birdshots #4  
We are seeing a lot of the European doves here in Kansas the last several years. They are much larger than the domestic ones and have the black band around their neck. I pointed one out to my son in law and he commented "that looks like a meal right there".

/ No Better Way to Use Up Birdshots #5  
We are seeing a lot of the European doves here in Kansas the last several years. They are much larger than the domestic ones and have the black band around their neck. I pointed one out to my son in law and he commented "that looks like a meal right there".

Yep, lots of them here in eastern Kansas also, ring necked Doves. My brother calls them 3 pounders and they are a legal kill in Kansas.

/ No Better Way to Use Up Birdshots #6  
In my early teens, I heard about dove hunting being great sport, hard to hit, but good eating. So I went out and shot one; one shot, one dove, and found there wasn't enough meat there to be worth a shotgun shell, and I haven't shot a dove since. But now I have some of the ring necked doves come to my birdfeeder in the evening and they're definitely a lot bigger than the mourning doves.

/ No Better Way to Use Up Birdshots #7  
It takes several doves for a meal, but wrap the breast meat in bacon, marinade it and grill it.....darn fine eating!

/ No Better Way to Use Up Birdshots #8  
It takes several doves for a meal, but wrap the breast meat in bacon, marinade it and grill it.....darn fine eating!

Pheasant is good that way too. But truthfully, the best part is the bacon.

/ No Better Way to Use Up Birdshots #9  

G&F here considers them an invasive species. The season is open year around.

I got a couple a year or so ago. Wasn't particularly impressed with the flavor.

/ No Better Way to Use Up Birdshots #10  
I cooked up 13 of them the other night with bacon and jalapeno. Good stuff.

Going out again tonight for another meal!