no brakes

/ no brakes #1  

Bandit2026

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8N, Kioti CK35
Once again I need some help. Redoing my 8n and it never had any brakes so Son and I decide to redo the brakes. After we disassembled and cleaned every thing we reassembled and after about the 3rd use , no brakes. Took one wheel apart and its got oil on the brakes. We really took our tine to prevent this so what did we miss??
P.S. What is a sure seal?:confused:

/ no brakes #2  
Once again I need some help. Redoing my 8n and it never had any brakes so Son and I decide to redo the brakes. After we disassembled and cleaned every thing we reassembled and after about the 3rd use , no brakes. Took one wheel apart and its got oil on the brakes. We really took our tine to prevent this so what did we miss??
P.S. What is a sure seal?:confused:

Sure Seal is a rear axle seal

/ no brakes
We used standard parts from Yesterdays. Is a sure seal different or better than the oem?

/ no brakes #4  
I dont know sometime they get messed up when installing and leak:(

/ no brakes
Surely someone has a trick or little something they do to prevent this.

/ no brakes #6  
If the lip of the seal gets caught on the end splines of the axle going on, wrap with electrical tape, starting at the inside edge of them, then wrap outwards, and leave a little tail stick out, beyond the end. Then coat with oil to make it slick. Then slide the seal on carefully. Edges of the tape are to the inside, so the lip will jump over them, and not invert it. Then, get hold of the tail of tape, and it will uncurl easily. That's assuming the splines are larger than the axle shaft, until you get to where it rides.

A buddy of mine had new ones put on his Ferguson years ago, and unless they've come up with something better, they were leaking again, within 6 months. And if IIRC, tho
se are pressed on, in place.

/ no brakes #7  
What year is your tractor? Early 8N's had only a single axle seal that seals against the hub. Later models have an external seal plus an inner seal that rides on the axle shaft.

Worn or loose hubs? Hub splines must be proud of axle splines upon reassembly. Torque spec for 2 axle nut is 450 ft. lbs.

Excessive axle end play?

Hydraulic fluid overfilled? Use the bottom bolt on the removable inspection plate to determine fluid height.