No chains in Colorado so......

/ No chains in Colorado so...... #1  

Lynkage

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 w/sims steel cab
there are no tire chains in CO. !!
So whats a guy to do? Search and Search.
No one has anything. No car chains or tractor. Even hard to get snow shovels. so what did I do?

Make your own. Run to lowes and get 2 50' boxes of 5/16 HT and 1/4 HT chain, some 1/4 repair links come home cut with bolt cutter and weld!! I will post some pics.

Has anyone ever made tire chains?

/ No chains in Colorado so...... #2  
That's probably how the first set came about. Guy was snowed in and got tired of wife complaining about ________(fill in blank), and decided, I think I'll go tinker around in garage. Another great idea born.

/ No chains in Colorado so...... #3  
I saw on the weather map you folks are getting beat on again from old man winter...yikes.

If now chains are to be had yeah I would scoot down to hardward store,also purchase handful good bungee cords to keep the slack in check...weld??

/ No chains in Colorado so...... #4  
I made a set for my brothers pedal tractor about 40 years ago. Did you make a set for the fronts or rears or both?

/ No chains in Colorado so......
Just rears so far. I welded the links where I put them together.
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• DSCN2641.JPG
    DSCN2641.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 560
  • DSCN2642.JPG
    DSCN2642.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 461
  • DSCN2643.JPG
    DSCN2643.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 476
   / No chains in Colorado so...... #6  
Thanks for sharing the pics,and now I understand when you wrote weld...be interesting to see what rear set of chains as you made would cost over the counter.

/ No chains in Colorado so...... #8  
Lynkage,

How did you ever get the dimensions to start the project? Did you measure up the rears or ghave specs from somewhere?

/ No chains in Colorado so......
johnk said:
Lynkage,

How did you ever get the dimensions to start the project? Did you measure up the rears or ghave specs from somewhere?

I just measured the tire and then when I had a radius that I liked, I mesured from there over the tire to the otherside. :confused: :eek: :D

/ No chains in Colorado so...... #10  
Great idea lynkage...and what a money saver. Any idea how long the whole project took?