NO crank power

/ NO crank power #1  

lendmeu

Tractor
John Deere 265
while trying to start my JD 265 tractor this cold - 8 MI morning..the engine back fired and instantly no crank turn over and no starter action:confused2 Just nothing with key on clutch engaged and battery charge.:confused2:

Last edited:
   / NO crank power
while trying to start my tractor JD 265 this cold MI morning..the engine back fired and instantly no crank turn over. Just nothing with key on clutch engaged and battery charge.

/ NO crank power #3  
while trying to start my JD 265 tractor this cold - 8 MI morning..the engine back fired and instantly no crank turn over and no starter action:confused2 Just nothing with key on clutch engaged and battery charge.:confused2:

Did you by chance give it a nice big spray of starting fluid first? If so, it's possible that internal damage was done. Ether can initiate combustion well before TDC and the piston is forced backwards down the hole.

/ NO crank power #4  
Lets hope this is this condition. Your battery may have internally collasped, it gave it last crank. Disconnect it from the tractor both POS and NEG and connect a known good battery up using booster cables. I helped somone with a car that had a NEW battery 3 months old that had failed internally and all the boosting would not help because the NEW battery was eating the boost. When we did as above and connected a battery in the middle of the parking lot we had a running car with the battery sitting on the ground. We headed to the supplier and we went through a short verbal discussion about the subject. It got alittle rude and then they admitted maybe the battery at 3 months old had failed.
Craig Clayton

/ NO crank power
hey thx for the responses..I did not use starter fluid and yes i did check battery.. but i will test it seperately from tractor battery.

/ NO crank power #6  
put a volt meter on the starter hot post and ground and crank over.. see what voltage the starter sees vs what the battery is..
post back

soundguy

/ NO crank power #7  
If battery checks ok and voltage at solinoid (large post) then possible starter solinoid went south on you (maybe to get warmer:) )

Good luck.

/ NO crank power #8  
G'day i would try to turn the engine over by hand (reverse rotation or rocking it back and forward) or pull the starter out as i would say the pinion has jammed when it backfired hopefully not bending the armature. I saw a nuess one do it and smash the nose housing off the starter:(:( hope this is not the case with yours

Jon