No FEL or hitch after hydraulic oil/filter change.

/ No FEL or hitch after hydraulic oil/filter change. #1  

stump54

Silver Member
Tractor
MF-2607H, MF-1540, MF-GC1710, Ferguson TO20
Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here also

Today I changed fluid and filter in my 2006 MF1540. Now I have no movement from either my loader or 3pt hitch.

I added the specified amount (8.2gal) and can see fluid 3/4 up the site glass.

I ran the tractor for about ten minutes, and even tried a suggestion to use compressed air in the filler tube (worked for someone else). No luck here

Any idea are appreciated.

Gary

/ No FEL or hitch after hydraulic oil/filter change. #2  
If your pump is up on the engine, remove the pressure out line attach your shop vac and prime the pump, once it's primed run it a few seconds to pump into a bucket.
did you use a factory hydraulic filter? Some people have had problems with after market filters having check valves that prevent oil from reaching the pump.

/ No FEL or hitch after hydraulic oil/filter change.
If your pump is up on the engine, remove the pressure out line attach your shop vac and prime the pump, once it's primed run it a few seconds to pump into a bucket.
did you use a factory hydraulic filter? Some people have had problems with after market filters having check valves that prevent oil from reaching the pump.

I used a WIX filter.

/ No FEL or hitch after hydraulic oil/filter change. #4  
Did you follow the procedure that is outlined in your owners manual?

/ No FEL or hitch after hydraulic oil/filter change. #8  
O.K. Sounds like you have the manual.
Go to the dealer and buy the correct filters and then follow the instructions on Pages D-10 - D-13.
WAY more than "drain and fill" on those pages.

/ No FEL or hitch after hydraulic oil/filter change.
O.K. Sounds like you have the manual.
Go to the dealer and buy the correct filters and then follow the instructions on Pages D-10 - D-13.
WAY more than "drain and fill" on those pages.

Not so sure about the manual. Mine has no pages D10-D13 and its entire section on this topic is two pictures and 10 lines…

Understand about an OEM filter, but clearly it's worked with the aftermarket since it's had one for years. However, I won't go that way again just in case it contributed to my problem.

I'm going to attempt filling the filter and priming the pump as was suggested by LouNY. It that doesn't work, and failing more suggestions, I'll load it up and take it to the dealer.

Oh well, so much for DIY...

/ No FEL or hitch after hydraulic oil/filter change. #10  
Not so sure about the manual. Mine has no pages D10-D13 and its entire section on this topic is two pictures and 10 lines

Understand about an OEM filter, but clearly it's worked with the aftermarket since it's had one for years. However, I won't go that way again just in case it contributed to my problem.

I'm going to attempt filling the filter and priming the pump as was suggested by LouNY. It that doesn't work, and failing more suggestions, I'll load it up and take it to the dealer.

Oh well, so much for DIY...

Can you find ANYTHING that works OK with fluid from the pump ? Have you tried something off the remotes? It may even be worth borrowing something to hook up to the remotes to narrow the problem and/or indirectly make the system 'clear it's throat.' I would not think that the pump needed priming (mine never did when changing the filter but maybe changing the fluid changes that picture...) ... I think a verbal with your Dealer is definitely in order before hauling the machine to him. It worked fine before and does not now so it is something grossly simple. Any possibility of having some kind of packing material or plastic over one of the openings?

Sure, it is worth finding those other missing pages of instructions out of completeness and curiosity but I cannot imagine what the vague complexities of change filter, drain and fill might be. In your shoes, my first step now would be talking to the dealer's service people. It will be something simple.