No Guts HI gear HST

/ No Guts HI gear HST #1  

Doccruz

Tractor
CK20HST
Well I have this wonderful CK20 HST, does anyone else have the problem of powerless HI gear? In HI gear I can't even back up an incline of 3 degrees. The wind will blow my kids big wheel up this hill but no CK 20 HST will make it. The today when I was cleaning stalls I noticed some wheel spin in low so I placed it in 4WD and the 4WD lever snapped right off. It looks like the weld did not penetrate the steel collar. So another call to my dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ No Guts HI gear HST #2  
There have been a couple discussions about this issue. See this thread: CK20 HST issue

The guy who started this thread (GETUT) has posted on one or two occasions about the issue. He also indicated that he cannot back over a piece of 2x4 lumber laying down on his driveway if his tires are pushed firmly up against the lumber (that was in another thread) In a recent PM from him, if I recall correctly he indicated that someone from Kioti was looking into his issue. You may need to go beyond your dealer? You might also want to contact Robert (GETUT) via PM and ask him for advice.

The CK20 is a nice little machine, I'm not sure if your problem is a real flaw or if it is just a relief valve issue.

/ No Guts HI gear HST #3  
I have to agree with the Hi Range HST issues posted above and previously by Getut.

I test drove a CK20HST (bare tractor, no loader) and a Kub7510 (bare) today. I really want to like the CK20H. Great looking tractor.

But I tried Getut's HST test of rolling up to a small 3" vertical step and stopping with the rear wheels touching the step. In low range the CK would step right up it, no problems. In hi range, even at 2800rpm, the tractor would bog to stall before climbing this small step. You could hear the hydraulics working, but it sounded like bypass/overload. I understand Low range is where you will be doing your work, but this was a very small step on level ground and it wouldnt pull it! This is just like Getut's experience referenced above. I tried the test in 2WD and 4WD - same results.

I tried the same test with the Kub7510, it jumped right up the step in Hi range and 1600rpm. The Kub HST just felt snappier throughout (but admittedly it is hard to tell in a parking lot!).

I got the service manager out with me and demo'd the problem. He said yes, thats different than he expected, but all seemed to be working right on the CK20. The hydraulics seemed fine to him. He suggested perhaps Kioti intentionally set some internal relief valve to prevent overworking the tractor in Hi range.

So now I am confused. I really like the CK. But my use will require a lot of pulling (dragging logs from woods mostly on slight upgrade), and it just felt weak, admittedly biased by the Hi range test. Unfortunately I could not find a good test in the parking lot for low range pulling power.

I have not seen a CK20gear. I am sure that would eliminate this concern (if it is a concern!). But I sure like the HST otherwise.

Thanks all, interested in your comments.

/ No Guts HI gear HST #4  
I've got the CK20 GEAR TLB and love it. The power is always there and as for shifting, well, it's just another thing. My dealer actually suggested/recommended the gear over the HST. Glad I listened. Gerard

/ No Guts HI gear HST #5  
I didn't try this test as you have described, but I also bought the gear version and have no problems with it. I've shifted for 20+ years so it is just second nature to me I guess, plus the $2000 dollars I saved on the HST allowed me to get the backhoe.

Steve

/ No Guts HI gear HST #6  
I never considered the hst while looking at tractors. One of the things that affected my decision was I knew I'd be skidding logs on fairly hilly land. I went with the CK30. I have used it to pull down deadfalls without much of a problem, 18" poplar, into an area that was safer to limb it out. I feel safer with the additional weight and wider stance than the CK20. Since I don't see me replacing the tractor in the future I bought the biggest one that would do what I needed it to do. So far it's been doing great!!

/ No Guts HI gear HST #7  
It could be a Kioti issue with more than the CK20. I have a CK30HST and high range is pretty weak. I often have to shift into mid range to get over a slight hill. The CK30HST does have the advantage of having 3 ranges in the HST model so it is not the inconvenience that it would be in the CK20.
That said, it is one heck of a great tractor. I am very happy with it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Al

/ No Guts HI gear HST #8  
<font color="blue"> I have a CK30HST and high range is pretty weak. I often have to shift into mid range to get over a slight hill. </font>

It's my understanding with the three range CK30HST, the 'High' range is geared for travel/speed.

Don

/ No Guts HI gear HST #9  
I think your right. It is really not a problem with this tractor as long as yuor "travel/speed" is not headed up hill.

Al

/ No Guts HI gear HST #10  
Just curious, but what about tasks like mowing where you need both the PTO and the drive wheels to have power. It is pretty common to mow in HI range, would the CK20HST or CK30HST not be suitable for mowing with the tractor in HI range if the lawn is even slightly hilly?

All of my tractors currently have HST and I mow in HI range.

I'm not looking to buy the CK series but I really like the DK45 and am looking at possibly buying one next summer because I plan to be expanding my property (or actually because of dealer relationship, I like the Cub Cadet 8000 series version of the DK45) which is a gear machine, but I follow the Kioti threads because there is so little information about the machines in the Cub forum.