No start condition Massey Ferguson 1260

/ No start condition Massey Ferguson 1260 #11  
I am gong directly from the positive battery terminal to the "plug in" wire above the battery cable lug on the starter. I leave the key on, touch the plug with the charged jumper wire, and the tractor starts.
By directly energizing solenoid, it indicates there is either a bad connection or bad relay or safety switch between terminal on starter and ignition switch....

Also battery light on would probably indicate the generator/alternator is not putting out a charge voltage to battery....

Last edited:
   / No start condition Massey Ferguson 1260 #12  
From what I see in the wiring diagram the start signal from the key switch passes through a safety start relay. It's a normally open circuit. The relay is energized by an ignition circuit when the key switch is on. That signal flows through the PTO switch, then through the main shift neutral switch, through the relay coil to ground. If that relay is not energized, the start signal from the key switch only goes that far. It has no path to the starter. That sounds to me like where you are. I would be looking for that relay. Maybe do a little testing on the related wires in and out of it.

/ No start condition Massey Ferguson 1260 #13  
It does sound like that relay. Going through all the battery cable connections, though is never a bad idea. I had a shop teacher, more years ago than I'd care to remember, who told us often, "to get a good electrical connection, get a good mechanical connection." I have proven him right many times.

/ No start condition Massey Ferguson 1260 #14  
Does it start when you jump across here? This is where I mentioned that I temporarily added a momentary contact switch with long leads while waiting for the new ignition switch. This will test your battery connections and grounds. This will also test the starter solenoid where jumping straight from battery to starter lug will not. I've used this switched jumper setup as a remote start when working on fuel injection issues when I didn't have someone that could sit on the tractor and hit the key. This is not a permanent solution since it can be dangerous because the tractor is no longer "thinking" for you.

This bypasses all safety switches,
make sure it is in neutral, PTO disengaged etc before pushing the button.

1674481030244.png

Last edited:
   / No start condition Massey Ferguson 1260
Yes it starts jumping that way. It has to be a relay or something at this point. Testing all of that is above my skill level however. I guess it's off to the shop unfortunately

I ordered an alternator but it has the lug off to the side instead of the top like the one I have and my cable doesn't reach. It seems all the replacement alternators show this side lug however so that's the new issue.

Thanks all!

/ No start condition Massey Ferguson 1260 #16  
Going back through the thread, I did not see you mention the seat safety switch. Did you check that? There is also a safety switch for the clutch and PTO. DId you confirm that the PTO is disengaged, both the lever and switch if it has one?