NOISE FROM INTAKE

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE #11  
Ya, REALLY! Sorry 'bout that. I was thinking direct reversible engines, and right-hand rotation engines. Only an inexperienced operator would allow an engine to stall anyway.

But I'm sticking by the valve adjustment.

Judging from the tone of his post, I say he is probabally an in-experienced operator?? Do dis-respect intended to the OP.

And I DONT consier myself in-experienced, but I do stall my stuff on ocassion. Not so much the BH due to the TC trans, my by hear kubota....I have stalled to before. Trying to work as quickly (efficiently) as possible moving dirt, and maybe be in a gear too high:confused3:

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE VALVE COVER & SET VALVES......I'VE GOT SPECS JUST WOULD LIKE ANY TIME SAVING & KNUCKLE SAVING REMEDIES I.E.STEPS TO KEEP FROM SCREWING UP MENTALLY AS WELL AS MECHANICLY...
...ANY HELP WILL BE MOST APPRECIATED.

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE #14  
Did you not get a set of manuals with your tractor? If yes, the valve lash adjustment procedure should be on pg4-1. If no, I can probably scan mine for upload. But I hesitate to push you into a job for which you may not be qualified. Given that you actually had to ask, I wonder if it wouldn't be more prudent to hire a qualified diesel mechanic to do it for you.

//greg//

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE #15  
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE VALVE COVER & SET VALVES......I'VE GOT SPECS JUST WOULD LIKE ANY TIME SAVING & KNUCKLE SAVING REMEDIES I.E.STEPS TO KEEP FROM SCREWING UP MENTALLY AS WELL AS MECHANICLY...
...ANY HELP WILL BE MOST APPRECIATED.

Mine is a 304. One of the biggest problems I was going to have was rotating the engine to get the cam to various positions. Fortunately, my main pulley has a groove that has no belt in it. So I got my trusty Harbor Freight v-belt pulley wrench, and I was able to put the engine anywhere I wanted it.

It looks just like this one, but I didn't pay near that much for it. And that thing saved me recently on my Subaru timing belt job since I was able to hold that wrench with my left hand, and loosen and then re-tighten the pulley bolt all by myself.

V-BELT WRENCH PULLEY LOCKING TOOLS (1901A)

Another tip, there seems to be right much slop in the little caps and rods, etc in the valve linkage, so be sure to tighten the lifters until you have right descent drag on the feeler gauge. Also, get mechanics gloves to wear if you don't have them already...some of the stuff under there can be sort of sharp.

Another tip...do head bold re-torque first. On mine, If I recall correctly, I had to actually remove the cam to get to all the bolts, though yours might be different. If that is true for you, be sure to understand where the cam gets oil, and make sure those paths are all clean. I was right outside my garage, so I blasted a bit of air through them and then hit it with my oil can. Make sure none of the bushings that the rocker arms ride on are shifted.

I hope I haven't said too much that is only true for my tractor but not true for yours. I wish you good luck.

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE #16  
One of the biggest problems I was going to have was rotating the engine to get the cam to various positions. Fortunately, my main pulley has a groove that has no belt in it. So I got my trusty Harbor Freight v-belt pulley wrench, and I was able to put the engine anywhere I wanted it.
When it's time to adjust valve lash again, release the compression before rotating the crank pulley. Besides encountering less resistance with the pulley wrench, it's safer. No compression, no accidental starting. Use one hand on a box or open end at the fuel tank end of the compression release rock shaft, and your other hand for the pulley wrench on the crankshaft pulley nut; open compression, rotate crankshaft, close compression, adjust, repeat.

//greg//

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE #18  
Except that we're not talking about a DongFeng engine. As you likely know, a typical DF three cylinder is the ChangChai ZN390T. But the Jinma-based 204C engine is a YangDong Y380T. Besides, your link only points to generic instructions for finding TDC, which is just a preliminary step in the overall process.

//greg//

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE
YEPPERS THE MANUAL IS ALL WRONG SAYS SET #1 @TDC ROTATE 40 DEGREES (INSTEAD OF 240 DEGREES) AFTER TURNIG 40 DEGREES ADJUST THE OTHER TWO CYLINDERS..HA HA HA HA DOESN'T SAY WHICH IS EXHAUST OR INTAKE VALVES......AFTER MUCH SERCHING (& COMMON SENSE)I LOCATED THE CORRECT WAY TO ADJUST LASHE .....ENGINE SOUNDS NEW...I'VE LEARNED YOU CAN THROW THE MANUAL AWAY UNLESS YOU USE IT JUST FOR A REFERENCE GUIDE....OR T.P.

/ NOISE FROM INTAKE
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AS THIS IS MY 1ST TRACTOR IT IS A YANGDONG Y380T ENGINE ...AGAIN MANY THANKS