Noise under my hood....

/ Noise under my hood.... #1  

ozsevenzero

Tractor
Massey GC 2610 TLB
I got a GC 2610 that has roughly 26 hours on it and it recently started making a whirring type noise whenever the tractor is getting some above average bucket or backhoe use. Happens especially in 4wd. Possibly low on hydro fluid. I haven't taken off the BH to check cuz i used it so much in the past few days but i am thinking that has something to do with it. Thoughts?

Also, has anyone ever used Rhino Liner, Line-X or Reflex liner on their hood. I am constantly pushing brush and what not with the bucket and have some dings and scratches.....was thinking about spraying the front quarter of the hood to protect it somewhat. I have a buddy getting his bed sprayed and the guy said he would knock it out for under $75 bucks.

/ Noise under my hood.... #2  
I got a GC 2610 that has roughly 26 hours on it and it recently started making a whirring type noise whenever the tractor is getting some above average bucket or backhoe use. Happens especially in 4wd. Possibly low on hydro fluid. I haven't taken off the BH to check cuz i used it so much in the past few days but i am thinking that has something to do with it. Thoughts?

Also, has anyone ever used Rhino Liner, Line-X or Reflex liner on their hood. I am constantly pushing brush and what not with the bucket and have some dings and scratches.....was thinking about spraying the front quarter of the hood to protect it somewhat. I have a buddy getting his bed sprayed and the guy said he would knock it out for under $75 bucks.

The hydro pump is in the rear of the tractor. Does it do it when the tractor is stationary? Reason I ask is you say it happens in 4wd. How long is it running when it starts? Any leaks? Does the sound change when you change the RPM? I would check all the fluids to be on the safe side. It doesn't take very long to remove the BH. You could buy on of those mechanics mirrors on a long reach rod, and shine a flashlight to see the level of the hydro.

As for the Rino liner, should work, price is a little steep. You could go to a autoparts store and buy a small can and do it yourself for around $20.

/ Noise under my hood.... #3  
Look up underneath the tractor, locate the shaft that goes from the engine to the transmission.
On the back of the shaft, there should be a 'fan'.
Sounds like something got into it.
Any blades missing?
If so, replace it.
EDIT: Also check under the hood, a stick or something could have gotten to a place it shouldn't be.

Last edited: