Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #11  
Hi guys, thanks Daves T for the info. Isn't the Branson filter assembly just a mounted block with orifices connected to the system with 2- 1.5" dia (+- supply/suction) hoses? Why cant we take a CT or similar filter assembly and remote mount to a higher level via longer hoses? It would sure remove that filter from a vulnerable spot and allow for cleaner change outs wouldn't it? Just a thought that I have been waiting to express because I would like to move mine. Any thoughts?

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #12  
fjb2c,

Interesting idea to remount the filter. Of course the normal disclaimer that if you did and it caused a problem, you would have warranty issues. As with most tractors, there are some vulnerable places under it's belly. I almost think a skid plate that could be rattle-gunned off for service might be the hot ticket.

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues
Nothing like adding to the confusion, so I think I will! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I found a web site that lists the Baldwin BT372-10 as a 10 micron filter, which makes sense when you consider the suffix of the model number, while the Napa/Wix that I had been using is a 5 micron filter.

Looking in my service/parts manual, it only calls for a 35 micron filter, which seems kind of coarse. It also says there is a bypass that opens at around 4.5 PSI. It doesn't say where the bypass is located, though. I guess it could be in the filter mount instead of in the filter itself.

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #14  
Why not just buy the filter from your Branson dealer? It seems alot easier than moving the filter. Have there been problems with the hydraulics?

I'm getting close to my 50 hour sevice, so this would be the time to make any changes.

Thanks Bob

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #15  
Yes, you are right. I have one more year of warranty. A skid plate would be a dandy thing; however, I don't have the time right now to make a full custom coverage plate that would not have vulnerable areas- which might work against me. So I'll keep it open and tread lightly, being careful of what I run over. Thanks.

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #16  
I bought my first change out from my dealer. I don't like being held to one manufacturer if I can prevent it. I like fram filters. Also If I need a filter in a pinch I like the idea of being able to get back on the road from another jobber if a dealer runs out of stock. It seems to be a very dirty place to change out a filter. Incidentally, the plastic pieces and hoses underneath are an Achilles heal. I cut/ damaged my filter pick up hose with a 1'' sapling stem that broke off and left the roots in the ground, then I backed up and it was all over. It left me dead in the water. I'm very careful of how I operate and what I run over, but this little booger caught me by surprise. With that said, in my case, looking at it with hindsight, the filter location design is somewhat vulnerable to that particular instance which I don't want to experience again. All in all, I 'm very satisfied with my tractor and have no regrets about buying it. I'd do it again.

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #17  
I was using my Branson 3820 tonight to plow snow. The tractor has 47 hours on it and I haven't changed the fluids yet (other than the front transaxle), thus it has all the original equipment on it. As soon as I heard the noise I remembered this post, I moved the FEL slightly and the noise went away until the FEL stopped moving. The rpm didn't really seem to matter. It is a little colder out today (20 F) so I'm kind of thinking the fluid might now want to flow very well. The noise was present even after about 30 minutes. Today was the first day I've noticed the noise, but with the wind whipping the last few days and having to cover up so much, it might have been there without me noticing.

I was talking to a friend at work today, mentioning that I was impatient with how long the FEL took to move in the winter. He said his JD had the same problem and finally totally stopped moving altogether. He cleaned his hydraulic screen which was filled with particles and it made all the difference. I'm not saying that the two issues are tied together, but maybe the cold weather/thick fluid, blocked screen might be somewhat of an issue with the noise(?).

When I was trying to clean the driveway and having to wait for the FEL to dump, I noticed I cannot lift my 3Pt when I'm moving my FEL, is this the case with all Bransons? I cannot remember if this was an issue in the summer or not.

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #18  
I have 40 hours on my 3510 so today I stopped by my local Century Dealer to pick up the filters to be ready. The oil filter was $14.15 and hydralic was $27.72 plus tax. Both KUKJE brand. A good day on my 3510, PRICELESS!!
I am first in line to save a buck but I feel a lot better with OEM on my baby.

/ Non Branson (Napa/Wix) Hydraulic Filter Issues #19  
I get a huge discount on Fleetguard (Cummins) filters, and it shows the Fleetguard HF6601 for this application (11 micron) with cellulose/synthetic blend filter media. Flow rate is 14 gallons a minute. I don't know if it has an internal pressure bypass or not?

Wix 51202 (Napa 1202) is 5 micron which is TOO RESTRICTIVE!

Wix 51116 (Napa 1116) is 10 micron and 18-20 GPM (Media is Microglass) and might be a correct replacement. I'll stop by Napa ands check one out. The Baldwin BT372-10 would be a special order item for me, as would be the Branson/Kukje filter.