Non conventional uses for a tractor.

/ Non conventional uses for a tractor. #1  

vsteel

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2320
Just wanted some ideas/opinions on non conventional uses for a tractor. Here is my situation.

I am getting an Oliver 77 tractor that used to be my dad's. I do want to keep it because it reminds me of him and he passed away a few months ago. It is in very good running condition, does not have a 3 point hitch or a loader. I have just a couple of acres and I have a John Deere 2320 that does everything I need. The Oliver when it was rebuilt many years ago had bigger sleeves and pistons put in so it is the same as an Oliver 770 now. Roughly 50hp. I would like to run it once in a while and keep gas going through it and not just park it and look at it.

I have thought of adding a 3 point and then I could run my wood chipper when needed. I have thought of a PTO generator, I would want a somewhat smaller one so the 2320 could also run it if needed.

If anyone else has some thoughts or ideas I am open to suggestions.

/ Non conventional uses for a tractor. #2  
Local parades!

/ Non conventional uses for a tractor. #3  
Hook a wagon/trailer to the draw bar and take the kids for a ride!

/ Non conventional uses for a tractor. #4  
Nice tractor, Enjoy!
796.jpg
acf78f636b48a299a7b026886874e032.jpg
BY9568.JPG

/ Non conventional uses for a tractor. #5  
I don't know about your area, but around here we have a few farm machine "museums", the best being rough and tumble. If you're a member you get storage and can still go putt around on it now and then. One of my neighbors put his Oliviers, including a Cleat Trac, into it. I visit for the steam show every few years and it's nice to see the tractors my dad learned on still being admired.

Other than that, get a cart to hook to it and use it as a complement to the JD. Having a cart tractor is something I miss. When I was a kid my dad used to have an Allis 180 and a Farmall Cub. He'd hook the Cub to the cart and use the Allis to haul logs out of the woods and into a staging area to be cut, split(my job), and loaded onto the cart. When the cart was full us kids would just pile on and he'd drive the cub to the pile, we'd unload, go back to the work area and repeat. By never having to unhook the cart from the Cub he saved a bunch of aggravation, plus it was more stable with the tractor hooked to it and safer for us to be around while he went and got another log with the 180. Since I got the Kubota he's rebuilding the cart, but the 180 was a gasser that one of the neighbor kids destroyed(sugar in the gas, some sort of solvent in the oil, plugs broken off at the thread and who knows what else, sold it for scrap). And the Cub hasn't moved since I was a teenager.

/ Non conventional uses for a tractor. #6  
Just wanted some ideas/opinions on non conventional uses for a tractor. Here is my situation.

I am getting an Oliver 77 tractor that used to be my dad's. I do want to keep it because it reminds me of him and he passed away a few months ago. It is in very good running condition, does not have a 3 point hitch or a loader. I have just a couple of acres and I have a John Deere 2320 that does everything I need. The Oliver when it was rebuilt many years ago had bigger sleeves and pistons put in so it is the same as an Oliver 770 now. Roughly 50hp. I would like to run it once in a while and keep gas going through it and not just park it and look at it.

I have thought of adding a 3 point and then I could run my wood chipper when needed. I have thought of a PTO generator, I would want a somewhat smaller one so the 2320 could also run it if needed.

If anyone else has some thoughts or ideas I am open to suggestions.

Those tractors are very useful with cultivators mounted up front with track plows in the back. The mechainism used to raise and lower them was genius. We used this series Oliver in the Tobacco patches and corn fields in Ky back in the day. Ken Sweet

/ Non conventional uses for a tractor.
Thank you very much for the great ideas. I can't help but look at it and think of my father.

/ Non conventional uses for a tractor. #8  
My Grandpa had the first rubber tired Case Tractor in the county I don't really remember the year or model but I do remember the big half round fenders I would ride on them and then slide off the back of them. My Dad got from somewhere a 1937 Oliver tractor we used for a wood saw using the side belt pulley and also a Catapillar 15 crawler no blade but a PTO winch and hand crank start I don't know what ever happened to them. I joined the U.S. Navy and never moved back to home town in CT. So if you have a chance to keep the old but tried and true tractors​ running and showing the younger generation how things​ were done back in the day please keep the memories running.

/ Non conventional uses for a tractor. #9  
If it has a belt pulley you can add a wood saw to the front.