none

/ none #1  

Brimfield

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L 3800
We just got a new gas range. The old gas range had copper tube with 3/8 flare fittings. The line was kinked so I got a new BrassCraft gas connector kit 60" long 1/2" line. The Range has a hook up fitting from the regulator with a .685 ID. The range claimed it has a 1/2 npt fitting. I saw a chart the said 1/2 npt 14 tpi was .840 and 3/8 14 tpi was .675 . The 3/8 I bought was .635 so It wasn't even close to fitting. The only fitting that came close was 1/2 flared male but the regulator hook up is not a flared connection. I am at a loss as to what fitting the range needs to be able to go to the 1/2 flare fitting for the hose.

/ none #2  
I'd match whatever is on the range side. NPT and flare fittings are two different things, so I'm confused what you're asking. If the range has a 1/2" NPT, you just need a 1/2" NPT to Flare fitting of the appropriate size and screw it into the ranges NPT.

/ none #3  
I would have expected a new range to have a male flare-fitting ready for you to screw a flex connector hose of the correct size to it.

Your flex connector hose "kit" comes with adapter fittings that transition from flare to NPT. It's a common mistake to screw a flex connector directly to NPT iron piping -- the threads aren't a perfect match but you can get them started. Just be sure that you're using an adapter on the house-piping end to connect to NPT on iron pipe. Should be pretty straight-forward to pick up a different adapter if you have the wrong size. They come in all the necessary combinations to get you from a flexible appliance connector to the appliance piping and the house-piping. Available pretty much anyplace that sells flex connectors and plumbing supplies.

/ none #4  
I just did this two weeks ago. My range did not come with any fittings. Those are probably supposed to be included in the flex line connector kit. I needed a 1/2NPT male to 1/2 Flare male. Looks sorta like this:

Eaton Weatherhead 48X6X8 Brass CA360 SAE 45 Degree Flare ...

Remember to use gas ready (yellow) paste or tape on the NPT end.

Last edited:
   / none #5  
I don’t believe that it comes with the stove or the hose anymore... they want you to buy your own. I also was under the impression that when putting brass on brass, no tape or sealant was needed?

/ none
They do not come with fittings now. In fact they hid it behind a plate. 1/2 npt is to big and did not fit the gas connection. I wish I had access to a Ridged pipe thread machine, with that I could make it smaller to fit. But I am getting someone tomorrow to hook it up. Then I don't need to worry about code and the insurance company. The guy at Lowes told me that The original stove hook up by A licensed plumbing shop was illegal, I don't know how it passed inspection but it did.

/ none #7  
They do not come with fittings now. In fact they hid it behind a plate. 1/2 npt is to big and did not fit the gas connection. I wish I had access to a Ridged pipe thread machine, with that I could make it smaller to fit. But I am getting someone tomorrow to hook it up. Then I don't need to worry about code and the insurance company. The guy at Lowes told me that The original stove hook up by A licensed plumbing shop was illegal, I don't know how it passed inspection but it did.
It might have been legal at the time it was done. Codes change over time. Usually after you hurt a few hundred people or one politician.

/ none
It might have been legal at the time it was done. Codes change over time. Usually after you hurt a few hundred people or one politician.
That was my thought but the plumber said it was never legal. As I recall the stove and dryer were hooked up and all they did was put a pressure gauge in the line and wait 24 or 48 hours to see if it changed and then it passed. But it has been over 20 years.