Noreaster in Progress, Ford 1710 Won't Start

/ Noreaster in Progress, Ford 1710 Won't Start #1  

Oldtoad

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4310, Bolens-Isiki
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance (PPPPPP). Marine expression I got from the kids, 2 were in the Crotch.
So, last night, in preparation for the ongoing storm, checked fuel level, decided to start and push snow banks back a bit, tractor would not start.
New battery, this year, ran good all summer.
Cranked slow, so, ran the charger, now the solenoid just clicks after a full charge, will not turn over.
Maybe the starter is bound up in the ring gear. Ideas?

/ Noreaster in Progress, Ford 1710 Won't Start #2  
Check battery connections....both ends.....remove and reinstall.

/ Noreaster in Progress, Ford 1710 Won't Start #3  
If cleaning the connections does not fix it, I'd have the battery load tested. I just had a year old battery go bad! I've also seen new ones that were bad.

/ Noreaster in Progress, Ford 1710 Won't Start #4  
remove and clean ground connection to tractor

/ Noreaster in Progress, Ford 1710 Won't Start #5  
Least you got L4310 for back up.

/ Noreaster in Progress, Ford 1710 Won't Start #6  
1710 ground cable is bolted to the radiator support? A bad idea that has gotten worse overs the years. Clean the connections and hopefully you can make it run. When the storm passes get a generic 1 gauge or 0 gauge generic battery cable long enough to attach the chassis end to a starter mount bolt.

/ Noreaster in Progress, Ford 1710 Won't Start #7  
Will it jump start?

/ Noreaster in Progress, Ford 1710 Won't Start
At the start of the storm, was not thinking of blocking the way by dragging the tractor, still snowing/sleet here.
A ground to the starter mounting bolt sounds pretty good.
Certainly will clean the connections and check the battery. Thanks guys.

/ Noreaster in Progress, Ford 1710 Won't Start #9  
Sometimes they just crimp the wire to the cable ends without soldering. It doesn't take much corrosion to ruin the amperage flow.

/ Noreaster in Progress, Ford 1710 Won't Start
Least you got L4310 for back up.

Funny you mention that, decided to put down 130 ton of gravel on the driveway and compact it rather than buy a plow for the Kubota.
Figured the Ford always starts and it has a plow. Pushing a long driveway with a bucket is no fun.
Plow guy showed up yesterday, said he would be back this morning, bet he broke down, day is a wasting.

Sometimes they just crimp the wire to the cable ends without soldering. It doesn't take much corrosion to ruin the amperage flow.
Words of wisdom spoken here.
Thanks, again to you all.