Northern Fool 3pt splitter...auto return my foot!

/ Northern Fool 3pt splitter...auto return my foot! #1  

Slacker

Gold Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 TLB
Brought home a Northern fool 3pt splitter last week. So far I've only got one issue...how does the ram auto return work? (so far it doesn't).
I've got the hoses set up right (push/pull) and all seems to work fine, except the cylinder auto return. The website specs: Automatic Cylinder Return: Yes
so I figured that meant it would retract by itself when I sent it home with the valve handle. (perhaps using a detent to hold the lever in place?????)
Anyone got suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?
1102_lg.gif

/ Northern Fool 3pt splitter...auto return my foot! #2  
Not sure if Northern Fool is a typo or not :D
Mine isn't a NT but on return the handle detents then pops out when the ram hits the limit...
Mine came from that other Chinese tool place- Harbor Fright:p

/ Northern Fool 3pt splitter...auto return my foot! #3  
I'll second that. The valve on mine has a detent.... it returns home when you pull back to the detent.

/ Northern Fool 3pt splitter...auto return my foot! #4  
Slacker - maybe they accidentally installed a non-detent valve on your splitter...??... Every splitter that I have ever used has a detent for return. If that's the case, maybe NF (hehe) would send you a replacement valve rather than shipping the whole mess back.

~paul

/ Northern Fool 3pt splitter...auto return my foot! #5  
Try swappin your hydraulic hoses around and see if that helps...

/ Northern Fool 3pt splitter...auto return my foot! #6  
Have you tried splitting any wood yet? Does the ram pop back out of the log when it starts in? Could the valve be mounted backward? An auto-return valve has a detent on it so the handle stays in the active position until it pops back to center. If you post a close-up pic ofg the valve we can probably tell if it has the auto-return feature - they have and extra long spool housing at the end away from the handle.

/ Northern Fool 3pt splitter...auto return my foot! #7  
T - adjusting screw

/
\ - spring
/
\

O - Ball

V - Detent on valve spool

Turn adjusting screw CW to until it will hold the valve spool in the return postion. If vibration makes the spool fall out of reverse postion early, turn the adjusting screw CW some more. If the valve keeps trying to return the cyclinder even after it is fully returned, then you need to turn it CCW.

/ Northern Fool 3pt splitter...auto return my foot! #8  
JerryK said:
T - adjusting screw

/
\ - spring
/
\

O - Ball

V - Detent on valve spool

Turn adjusting screw CW to until it will hold the valve spool in the return postion. If vibration makes the spool fall out of reverse postion early, turn the adjusting screw CW some more. If the valve keeps trying to return the cyclinder even after it is fully returned, then you need to turn it CCW.

And then if you have a problem and try to get warrantee service you will not be happy. That is adjusting the working pressure, and on a 3 point mount, is probably already set above the operating pressure of the tractor's hydraulics.

Slacker, call Northern, they should replace the valve if it doesn't hold in detent, and the detent on Energy-type valves is non-adjustable, it works or it doesn't.

/ Northern Fool 3pt splitter...auto return my foot! #9  
anyone who owns one of these three point hitch splitters have an opinion of it power? I rent a 30 ton splitter and it works great...lots of nut...that said how would one of these compare? they don't seem to be rated very strongly...I would attach it to a Deere 4720 tractor so power is not that much of an issue.

Thoughts on how big a log it will split and how easily...

30 ton unit split 30"+ rock maple with no issue.

Dave

/ Northern Fool 3pt splitter...auto return my foot! #10  
On my three point splitter from Northern the return consists of a bungee cord attatched somewhere on the tractor. If it doesn't return I move the bungee cord further up on the tractor to get more tension on the control lever, that is the only adjustment I have been able to make work.