Nortrac 35 XTD - Oil Cooler add on

/ Nortrac 35 XTD - Oil Cooler add on #1  

Texan4Life

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2810, IH Hydro 70, 706
I decided to upgrade the engine cooling on my dozer. Hopefully this will prolong the time in between blowing the radiator out. I added and engine oil cooler, and booster engine coolant cooling as well. I used the thermostat by pass ports for the coolant circuit and then used a sandwich oil filter adapter for the engine oil circuit. Even built a little frame for the coolers so it could swing out for easy cleaning. It took longer than i expected but came out well I think. Bonus is the sandwich adapter also converts it to a 3/4-16 thread so now I can run a FL1a style filter. The original was a real odd ball 1-12 and only Baldwin had a cross over for it. So now i have a ton of options in brands/filter media ect.

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

I used 10 AN hose and fittings to match the original braided lines. Also I wanted to learn how to work with AN since I never have before. After this project I think i'd like to learn how to bend and work with hard line, it would have been a more compact install i think as well as less expensive.

engine oil cooler: Derale # 51010
coolant cooler : Derale # 52510
oil filter sandwich adapter: Perma-Cool #189

/ Nortrac 35 XTD - Oil Cooler add on #2  
   / Nortrac 35 XTD - Oil Cooler add on
yeah I bet it would work Bob. Could plumb that into the coolant bypass pretty easy and it would add some engine oil cooling (and faster oil warmup during winter). Just would have to make sure the adapter matches your oil filter threads and gasket size.

And yeah an oil temp gauge would be very useful. When my engine would get up to 95C, I'd notice my idle oil pressure would be below .2 mpa (in the red) now at that same temp my oil pressure stays in the green at .2mpa. I'm using rotella T6 5w-40. Not sure what my oil temp is but I'm pretty sure i don't have to worry about it being to cold. I was surprised how hot that little cooler gets!

Also with the bypass cooling i had to work it hard to try to get the engine that hot. my radiator could use a blow out for sure and i had to drive in High 3 at full throttle to finally get it up to that temp to test it. When working it normal in low range and leaving the engine around 2000 or 2200 rpm the heat gauge stayed nice and around 80 or 85C. It warms up a tad slower cuz of the extra cooler but it will still warm up enough to open the tstat. I think i have a 75C tstat. We will see how it goes in the winter time but being in TX i don't think ill have an issue. Worst case if the engine stays to cold is I can partially block the grill with something.

/ Nortrac 35 XTD - Oil Cooler add on #4  
   / Nortrac 35 XTD - Oil Cooler add on #5  
I probably could run that cooler in series with the coolant filter.

JW Filter (1).JPG

/ Nortrac 35 XTD - Oil Cooler add on
nice! a coolant filter is on my to-do list. Is urs mounted above the top of the radiator? do you have any issues with getting the air out? I like the filter mount/base... do you remember what brand it is?

/ Nortrac 35 XTD - Oil Cooler add on #7  
This is the filter head I used.
https://www.amazon.com/Baldwin-CFB5000-Coolant-Filter-Base/dp/B0015RC5A0

And these are the filters I use.
https://www.amazon.com/Coolant-Filt...+filter+b5134&qid=1567484253&s=gateway&sr=8-2

The trick to tell when these filters need changing is when the sides are hot and the bottom is cold. When you first install it you'll probably only get about 50 hours for the first change, a lot more hours after that. Want a surprise? Open it up after you change it. I have about 200 hours on the third cartridge and it's still good.

No problems with purging, it's automatic because it's in the by-pass circuit.
I have it mounted about radiator top-tank height so I don't loose much coolant during change out.

JW Filter.JPG

Since you're in Texas I would recommend using 15W/40 oil. Much easier on the bearings during startup.