Nortrac 35XTD final drive removal

/ Nortrac 35XTD final drive removal #1  

Mc55806

Tractor
Nortrac 35 CTD
Hello All,
Long time reader 1st time poster.
I’m looking for some guidance on final drive removal on a Nortrac 35xtd.
I’m in the process of replacing the Bull gear, axle and semi gear after the PO ingested a Rock in late 2019 and parked it.
The semi gear is pretty short and the way it looks it only reaches back into the rectangle cover area so do I have to go far enough back to just remove the final drive or do I have to go deeper?

Attachments

• IMG_6476.jpeg
    IMG_6476.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
   / Nortrac 35XTD final drive removal #2  
Greetings, and welcome.
Before I go further, do you have a parts manual?

/ Nortrac 35XTD final drive removal
I have the operators and parts manual from the Northern Tool website.

/ Nortrac 35XTD final drive removal #4  
I have the operators and parts manual from the Northern Tool website.
Great! I have the manufacturer's (Yuchai) manual and I'm not sure if they're the same, but on page 61 there is an exploded view of the final drive housing, and on page 58 there is a sequence drawing of the final drive gears and bearings. This is as deep as you should need to go. Going into the steering compartment (item 27 on page 61) will be necessary to remove six bolts (item 3 on page 61). In any event it will be necessary to drop the track and wishbone, and pull up the ROPS and saddle tank.

Great! I have the manufacturer's (Yuchai) manual and I'm not sure if they're the same, but on page 61 there is an exploded view of the final drive housing, and on page 58 there is a sequence drawing of the final drive gears and bearings. This is as deep as you should need to go. Going into the steering compartment (item 27 on page 61) will be necessary to remove six bolts (item 3 on page 61). In any event it will be necessary to drop the track and wishbone, and pull up the ROPS and saddle tank.
Thanks! So the splined end of the semi gear with the nut slips into the clutch/brake hub?

So after checking with my manual none of the pages or items align with yours. See attached pic. I drew arrows pointing at 3 of the 6 bolts that needed to be removed from the inside of the steering housing and is the wishbone the item in the lower right of the image attached?

Attachments

• IMG_6495.jpeg
    IMG_6495.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 47
   / Nortrac 35XTD final drive removal #7  
Thanks! So the splined end of the semi gear with the nut slips into the clutch/brake hub?
Yes. I have actual pics of this procedure but can't find them. The wishbone is the wrap-around frame that supports the dozer blade.

/ Nortrac 35XTD final drive removal #8  
The bolts you pointed out are inside the steering compartment. This is how far in you need to go.

1703650183560.jpeg

Great and Thanks Bob. I'll update when I dig deeper which should be this coming weekend , this crazy mild winter so far has been nice working outside on this. Dozer is about 75 miles from my house but 1 mile from our property.

Update:
FD is off but it was a challenge. So I have a question. Does the undercarriage frame rail stay attached with part 27 in attached image? Is part 27 internally threaded? I was able to loosen the other side clamp for the swing shaft and get enough movement to get the FD removed but it was a challenge.

Attachments

• IMG_6546.jpeg
    IMG_6546.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6545.jpeg
    IMG_6545.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6547.jpeg
    IMG_6547.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6541.jpeg
    IMG_6541.jpeg