Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions...

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #91  
WOW I would say so.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #92  
Refer to my post #74 re: steering clutches. You DID dodge a bullet.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #93  
Glad it all worked out that way for you. It could have cost you another $5000 real quick.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #94  
Hi a water temp gauge question The Bourdon Tube type gauge doesn't work on my YCT306S-S
I am planning on replacing it with an electric one which I can set a warning light to come on at a set temperature what set point should I use? also planning on hooking up a low oil pressure light what pressure should it come on at?
The motor in it is the three cylinder TY395 same as the Jimna 345 Tractor I think

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #95  
Hi a water temp gauge question The Bourdon Tube type gauge doesn't work on my YCT306S-S
I am planning on replacing it with an electric one which I can set a warning light to come on at a set temperature what set point should I use? also planning on hooking up a low oil pressure light what pressure should it come on at?
The motor in it is the three cylinder TY395 same as the Jimna 345 Tractor I think
I set my Murphy Switchgage high temperature set point to 210 degrees. I'm also running a 180 degree thermostat. Even if you are using the original stock "ice cold" 140 degree thermostat, I'd still use 210 degrees.
Low lube oil pressure set point is 10 psig.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #96  
Thanks Bob What the advantage of running a 180 degree thermostat? is it something you would recommend for everyone or is just for cold climates. Where I am in New Zealand is pretty temperate we do get down to about -3 celsius (I think thats about 26 in american speak) in mid winter and around 32 celsius in summer (90 odd Fahrenheit)
I set my Murphy Switchgage high temperature set point to 210 degrees. I'm also running a 180 degree thermostat. Even if you are using the original stock "ice cold" 140 degree thermostat, I'd still use 210 degrees.
Low lube oil pressure set point is 10 psig.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #97  
Thanks Bob What the advantage of running a 180 degree thermostat? is it something you would recommend for everyone or is just for cold climates. Where I am in New Zealand is pretty temperate we do get down to about -3 celsius (I think thats about 26 in american speak) in mid winter and around 32 celsius in summer (90 odd Fahrenheit)

Running the engine at 180 - 190 degrees is pretty much optimal for thermal effeciency of these engines (many new-tech diesels run at 190F - 200F degrees) which includes less soot build up in the lube oil and other components, more efficient lube oil performance, and much better fuel economy - to name a few.
More here: Thermal efficiency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus, there is improved thermal equilibrium of engine components - where the same ampunt of heat expands different materials at different rates to a maximum dimension or tolerance.

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #98  
Broke a track shoe today not sure on the procedure to repair my plan is as follows any advise would be much appreciated
1. Back off the track tension adjuster as much as possible
2. Remove as long as length possible of track from the top by removing a track pin
3. Place the removed track behind the dozer and just under the drive sprocket
4. Drive/winch the dozer backwards onto the track
5. Join both sections of track together
6. Join the ends together and insert the replacement shoe making the joint with both ends half wrapped around the drive sprocket
7. Adjust the track tension back to the correct tension
I am not looking forward to putting the final pin in any tips where to position it and or how get the two ends together to get the pin in would be appreciated

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii610/timbatrader/IMG_0615.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii610/timbatrader/IMG_0613.jpg
IMG_0615.JPGIMG_0612.JPG

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #99  
timbatrader just from the one photo I might just try to fix it without moving the machine or track more than enough to be able to repin from the bottom side by driving wedged shape timbers to force the link connection to line up using a drift punch?

are the black places defective places in the link? Did something get under that link or was it was torque pressure from braking/turning.

Do you have access to a backhoe?

How do you rate the under carriage? 100%, 50%, etc?

/ Nortrac / Yuchai Dozer questions... #100  
Two heavy duty C-clamps (four total) on each side of the shoe at the free ends of the track holding a short piece of chain between them. Run a come-a-long between the chains on each track end and draw them together. You will probably have to depress the right steering clutch so the sprocket wil turn. I remember doing that stuff on D8's way back in the woods - back in the day. Blocking the dozer up will be a great help, but so far you've got the right plan going. Good luck.
That shoe edge is bent pretty badly, just what are you doing anyway? You have to remember that these are lightweight machines, so don't treat them like they are a D8 - they're not.