Not a good time to buy a car

/ Not a good time to buy a car #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
As everyone probably knows, it's a terrible time to purchase a vehicle. We went SUV shopping yesterday and it was a joke. One new car dealer we stopped at straight out said, we are marking up all new vehicles a minimum of $4000 over MSRP. That was Hyundai and Honda. The Ford dealer claimed they weren't marking any new vehicles up except the top of the line full size Bronco.

We drove 1 1/2 hours to test drive a used Lincoln SUV only to find out the battery was dead. We drove it anyway and the battery didn't charge during the test drive. The vehicle was only 3 1/2 years old with 20K miles, still under warranty. We left and I don't plan on going back.

Kevin

Last edited:
   / Not a good time to buy a car #3  
And particularly not a good time to buy a hybrid or electrical vehicle. Prices on those have shot up with the gas prices. The limited good news I suppose - my SIL totaled his Prius when he hit a wild pig on the highway near us a few weeks ago. He paid $2,600 for the car a year ago (it was used - a 2006 I think). It was totaled - as was the pig - and the insurance company paid him $9,500. For the car - not the pig. Go figure.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #4  
As everyone probably knows, it's a terrible time to purchase a vehicle. We went SUV shopping yesterday and it was a joke. One new car dealer we stopped at straight out said, we are marking up all new vehicles a minimum of $4000 over MSRP. That was Hyundai and Honda. The Ford dealer claimed they weren't marking any new vehicles up except the top of the line full size Bronco.

We drove 1 1/2 hours to test drive a used Lincoln SUV only to find out the battery was dead. We drove it anyway and the battery didn't charge during the test drive. The vehicle was only 3 1/2 years old with 20K miles, still under warranty. We left and I don't plan on going back.

Kevin
If I need a vehicle then I need one, and if I don't, I don't. Timing has never come into the equation for me.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #5  
One thing that is borderline fair priced is actual cars. Not SUV’s, not cross overs, not trucks, but good old fashioned 4 door sedans.
That’s good to know as I was considering a Taurus or something similar even before gas prices skyrocketed. Something for running around so that I can leave my pickup for when I need a pickup.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #6  
I too have been looking at a 4 door sedan, a couple years old is fine, prices seem okay. I too want to drive my HD truck less. I've been spying a 2019 Lincoln continental, such a nice looking car

/ Not a good time to buy a car #7  
That’s good to know as I was considering a Taurus or something similar even before gas prices skyrocketed. Something for running around so that I can leave my pickup for when I need a pickup.
Ford doesn’t make sedans anymore. A Taurus would be at least 5 years old.

/ Not a good time to buy a car
If I need a vehicle then I need one, and if I don't, I don't. Timing has never come into the equation for me.
We had planned on keeping the Honda Crosstour for several more years. Unfortunately the car was hit and totalled. With prices on used cars up 30-40% year over year, I'm calling this a bad time to buy a car. I wish we could have kept that car until car prices come back down, which I predict they will when the chip shortage subsides.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #9  
My wife’s 2006 SUV blew its tranny in Dec so we went shopping for a 2022 Chevy Silverado in Jan. Most dealers were several thousand over MSRP. But our local dealer that we have bought all our cars from since 1991 was $2000 under MSRP. He said it was about building relationships, not making a quick buck. Glad I have been a loyal customer for all these years. Still waiting for the truck to arrive, was told it started being built last week.

/ Not a good time to buy a car #10  
We had planned on keeping the Honda Crosstour for several more years. Unfortunately the car was hit and totalled. With prices on used cars up 30-40% year over year, I'm calling this a bad time to buy a car. I wish we could have kept that car until car prices come back down, which I predict they will when the chip shortage subsides.
According to the manufacturers, they will not go back down. They never again want massive on the ground inventory. They like this lower inventory and more per customer order along with the sales prices at sticker cost. They are saying that we will likely never go back, there is far more money made this way.