Not looking forward to snow removal tonight

/ Not looking forward to snow removal tonight #1  

StrangeRanger

Gold Member
Tractor
L3400 HST
So, I was out till almost 11pm last night trying to clear the 3-4" ice pack on the hilly sections of my drive. Which, unfortunately is most of my 2,200' drive. The big teeth on the box blade did a respectable job, but it was not easy. And it was a pain to go back and clean up all the ice chunks afterwards. It was getting late and I was not enjoying myself, so the clean up portion of the project was not one of my better efforts.

And what is it doing now? Dumping snow like crazy. I just know I'm gonna have to clear the drive tonight. Really not looking forward to it. I know I'm going to be going through shear bolts left and right w/ all the ice chunks left floating around.

/ Not looking forward to snow removal tonight #2  
Sound like someone will be looking for a (warm) cab in the near future!!! I would love to go up to Vermont to clear some snow :D (76* temp. around here yesterday.) Heading out to Utah for some skiing on Friday... can't wait.

/ Not looking forward to snow removal tonight #3  
If I thought I were going to be breaking a whole bunch of shear pins, and waste all of that time changing them, I might just use the FEL. In the long run it might take less time.

My unit just breaks up ice chunks and spits them out, althought the one that I have encountered might not be as big as yours. I sort of wince when I hit them, but I have never had an ice chenk break a shear pin.

/ Not looking forward to snow removal tonight #4  
I was cleaning up 16"-20" of snow last night and hit a chunk of ice. Broke both shear pins, one on the auger and one on the fan. I didn't realize there were 2 until then. The fan was spinning but the auger wasn't. Didn't take too long to figure out I missed one. :confused:

Enjoy the big snow in VT. It hit us pretty bad and you are getting the same storm I think.

/ Not looking forward to snow removal tonight
I knew last night was gonna stink. I hit a $412 rock/ice/something chunk. Yup, $412 for a new gearbox. Yeahhhh!!

I still haven't found exactly what it was, but it broke 2 of the 3 shear pins on the blower AND bent the fan shaft going into the gear box of the blower.

The shaft, seal kit and related materials was almost $375 + shipping + my time and hassle to rebuild the gear box (assuming it can be done). Plus a 2 week lead time to get the shaft from Canananada. A new gearbox to simply drop in, $412 shipped, have it tomorrow.

As for just using the FEL, well, the driveway is just over 2,200' long. I used the FEL and backblade all last winter and it was ungodly to do.

And it's been snowing still all day today, expected to snow right through Sunday. Wouldn't be that big O deal, but my youngest has some disabilities and medical needs that require a clear, safe driveway to get to the hospital or EMS services to the house w/out delay. As much as I love seat time, I'm getting sick of moving snow. I need to win the lottery so I can pave my driveway.

/ Not looking forward to snow removal tonight #6  
StrangeRanger said:
I knew last night was gonna stink. I hit a $412 rock/ice/something chunk. Yup, $412 for a new gearbox. Yeahhhh!!

I still haven't found exactly what it was, but it broke 2 of the 3 shear pins on the blower AND bent the fan shaft going into the gear box of the blower.

The shaft, seal kit and related materials was almost $375 + shipping + my time and hassle to rebuild the gear box (assuming it can be done). Plus a 2 week lead time to get the shaft from Canananada. A new gearbox to simply drop in, $412 shipped, have it tomorrow.

As for just using the FEL, well, the driveway is just over 2,200' long. I used the FEL and backblade all last winter and it was ungodly to do.

And it's been snowing still all day today, expected to snow right through Sunday. Wouldn't be that big O deal, but my youngest has some disabilities and medical needs that require a clear, safe driveway to get to the hospital or EMS services to the house w/out delay. As much as I love seat time, I'm getting sick of moving snow. I need to win the lottery so I can pave my driveway.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Is anyone available to plow with a truck in sitautions like this. I mean, you had the feeling it wasn't going to go well.

/ Not looking forward to snow removal tonight
ByronBob said:
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Is anyone available to plow with a truck in sitautions like this. I mean, you had the feeling it wasn't going to go well.

Thanks. I sucked it up and went out w/ the FEL and back blade. Does a decent job, just takes fooooorrrreeeevvvveeerrrr. But, there is an up-side to this. Since I had to scrape things along w/ the BB and FEL, all my nasty ice/rock chunks are now removed from the driveway :) LOL

/ Not looking forward to snow removal tonight #8  
I've quite enjoyed blowing the snow this winter.

We've had wierd weather. Lots of snow and then it all melts. We've had spring about 7 times already.

I was doing my neighbours drive yesterday when a tarp he had got caught in the auger and the auger fell right off!. I've only broken one shear pin in the two winters so far. Never heard of an auger coming right off.

Upon close inspection, it actually appears that it is somewhat designed to do this. No damage to anything.

Spent about 2 hours getting it all put back together and its back to life again.

/ Not looking forward to snow removal tonight #9  
Sorry Strange, I've tried to feel sorry for you but I just can't. You live on 45 acres, 2,200' off the road in Vermont. That's worth a good bunch of shear bolts in my book.

/ Not looking forward to snow removal tonight #10  
I mostly like blowing snow too but... I was clearing a driveway for a friend-hadn't seen the driveway with no snow. I had the chute pointed straight back as there is nowhere to the side to put the snow right there and put a rock a little bigger than my two fists together through the blower without a sound except for the whunck when it hit the chute. It came out of there like a cannon ball straight towards their cabin trailer. :eek: It was like watching it in slow motion as it sailed through the air, hit the ground, bounced then hit the ground again just short of the trailer and rolled to a stop. Whew!!
I decided that was far enough back to be clearing snow.
Tractor adventures.