Not satisfied with Oregon chainsaws sharpener. Any ideas or advice?

/ Not satisfied with Oregon chainsaws sharpener. Any ideas or advice? #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I bought an Oregon chainsaw sharpener and even paid good money for a CBN wheel that’s supposed to eliminate this. Some teeth it does a pretty decent job although not as good as new. On other teeth it leaves a bad burr. I’ve got the head set at 60 degrease and the table angled at 30 degrease. IMG_0435.JPGIMG_0436.JPGIMG_0437.JPGIMG_0438.JPG

/ Not satisfied with Oregon chainsaws sharpener. Any ideas or advice?
I’ve since tried again with a never sharpened before, but dull chain and had better results although still not as good as I was hoping for. One problem that I’m not real thrilled about is the wheel has some runout. As in enough that when you hold a piece of metal to it lightly it bounces. I haven’t had time to check to see if it’s coming from the motor or the wheel. I checked the motor shaft and it seemed pretty good. I guess I should get my dial indicator out and mark the high spot and rotate the wheel on the shaft and try again.

/ Not satisfied with Oregon chainsaws sharpener. Any ideas or advice? #3  
If I am guessing correctly, both right and left teeth are ground from the same side of the chain??

If so, one tooth will have a "burr", the other will not,, due to grinding into versus away from the tooth,,,
That is just metalworking,,,
My guess is that the burr is meaningless,, try the chain, if it cuts straight,, all is good,,,

/ Not satisfied with Oregon chainsaws sharpener. Any ideas or advice? #4  
I have an Oregon grinder that I have not used (long story)

But I had a problem with the table out of the box. Called Oregon and the people were borderline jerks and I had to leave a message for the guy that deals with this stuff. He called back the next day, was a real nice guy and sent me a new table that he had checked out. Along with a hat and a keychain.

So, if the problem is the grinder, Oregon will step up. In my experience anyway.

Arborist site has a few guys that eat sleep and breathe sharpening chains.

I haven’t had a chance to cut with the chain yet. I have determined it’s the arbor causing the runout. I tried filling it with it running but that didn’t make any difference. I’m going to try shimming it. It’s 11 thousandth of runout measured like this.IMG_0452.JPG

/ Not satisfied with Oregon chainsaws sharpener. Any ideas or advice? #6  
I read that you can re wire that switch and make the motor reversible?

I cant remember exactly why, but it seems like for your problem.

I think they may have used to sell reversible ones but not anymore because safety?

Theres alot of info out there about this stuff. It's been a while since I looked at any.

/ Not satisfied with Oregon chainsaws sharpener. Any ideas or advice? #8  
I haven’t had a chance to cut with the chain yet. I have determined it’s the arbor causing the runout. I tried filling it with it running but that didn’t make any difference. I’m going to try shimming it. It’s 11 thousandth of runout measured like this.View attachment 577933
Call Oregon if the arbor is bad.

/ Not satisfied with Oregon chainsaws sharpener. Any ideas or advice? #9  
Learn to hold a hand file. It's not hard!

jeesh... where is my nanny when I need her to operate the chainsaw sharpening do-dad?

Call Oregon if the arbor is bad.

I think bad would be a stretch. It’s within a couple thousands. How much can you expect from a $170 unit? I installed a shim and got it to about 5 thousands run out at the outside of the wheel.