not sure if I have enough battery to start my ford 4500 diesel

/ not sure if I have enough battery to start my ford 4500 diesel #11  
I'll be odd man out. I think it's your starter. Your description of everything you had hooked up to the battery should be plenty of starting amps. Your mention of the starter smoking after 10 seconds tells me it's bad.

You are right that this engine needs to turn over at a certain speed or higher or it will not want to start. The starter on my 555A was slow and I always had to ether it to get it started. Bought a new starter and now it starts very well. I shopped online and bought a $125 starter. I don't expect it to last as long as an OEM starter but it's 1/3 the cost.

Easy enough to find out. Get yourself a $6.50 HF digital multimeter, set it to 20VDC, put one lead on the starter 12v input stud and the other lead on the CASE OF THE STARTER, ensuring you penetrate any painted surface....Have someone roll the engine and if you don't have 10V chase your wiring-battery-electrical connections. If you do, chase your starter.

/ not sure if I have enough battery to start my ford 4500 diesel
Well, I pulled the starter and went through it for a second time. I'm pretty sure the connection from the solenoid to the motor was a problem and probably where the smoke was coming from. And I think the motor was still a bit tight from sitting.
I got it back on the tractor, and after several attempts it finally started.
Now it starts like nothing ever happened. The 2 small batteries start it with ease now.
Now I'm going to put it all back together and hope the tranny and clutch work.

Thanks everyone for your help!
John

/ not sure if I have enough battery to start my ford 4500 diesel #13  
Good job and good luck. :thumbsup:

/ not sure if I have enough battery to start my ford 4500 diesel #14  
Thanks for the update!!!! I think you found the starting problem. Nice work!!!!

/ not sure if I have enough battery to start my ford 4500 diesel #15  
My brother uses the battery out of a Hundai to start the 201 engine in his Ford 4000, so it shouldn't take too much battery...

/ not sure if I have enough battery to start my ford 4500 diesel #16  

Attachments

• DD464912-9035-473A-A889-A36E8DC09080.jpeg
    DD464912-9035-473A-A889-A36E8DC09080.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
   / not sure if I have enough battery to start my ford 4500 diesel #17  
LOL!! that’s what I was thinking too Rick!

/ not sure if I have enough battery to start my ford 4500 diesel #18  
Ok, Hyundai is broad, think Elantra... :)