Not using all my horses by design??

/ Not using all my horses by design?? #61  
I'll take the higher horsepower in an older tractor that is 40-50% heavier than the newer offerings. The weight is for traction and my comfort. I've been pleasantly surprised to find that the big diesel engines don't even come close to burning the amount of fuel as published in the Nebraska tractor tests. I don't do any heavy tilling where the tractors have to grunt to get the job done. I have a 50ish horsepower diesel generator that is rated to burn about four gallons per hour. It has three times the KW needed to power my home at full load. My limited, but accurate testing shows that diesel consumption is less than a fourth of what the publications list the engine as using. Same thing with the JD 4230. It is shown to use about seven gallons an hour. Even plowing, it uses in the vicinity of 4 gph. Using it around the yard to move hay is a lot less.

/ Not using all my horses by design?? #62  
Finding a used loader to go with a used tractor that doesn't have a loader is tough. A new loader that will fit the used tractor can usually be found but at a cost that often exceeds that of the used tractor. This was explained to me by the owner of a tractor dealership.

Hope that M9960 you're now looking at has a loader.

/ Not using all my horses by design??
Finding a used loader to go with a used tractor that doesn't have a loader is tough. A new loader that will fit the used tractor can usually be found but at a cost that often exceeds that of the used tractor. This was explained to me by the owner of a tractor dealership.

Hope that M9960 you're now looking at has a loader.
It does. I think it'll be a bit big for a few of the areas I need to work in, but all the other areas it's size will be appreciated. I've also looked at an M7060D but it might be a bit too small.

Eventually I'm adding a chassis mount dozer blade.

/ Not using all my horses by design?? #64  
I'll take the higher horsepower in an older tractor that is 40-50% heavier than the newer offerings. The weight is for traction and my comfort. I've been pleasantly surprised to find that the big diesel engines don't even come close to burning the amount of fuel as published in the Nebraska tractor tests. I don't do any heavy tilling where the tractors have to grunt to get the job done. I have a 50ish horsepower diesel generator that is rated to burn about four gallons per hour. It has three times the KW needed to power my home at full load. My limited, but accurate testing shows that diesel consumption is less than a fourth of what the publications list the engine as using. Same thing with the JD 4230. It is shown to use about seven gallons an hour. Even plowing, it uses in the vicinity of 4 gph. Using it around the yard to move hay is a lot less.
We found the same thing. Larger engines are surprisigly efficient when doing easy work. And there is no comparing the comfort and stability. We mow our lawn with a little Honda self-propelled (HST) lawnmower.

The tractors do everything else.

/ Not using all my horses by design??
I settled on a M105s 16spd with a loader. Bought a 3pt backhoe and a frame mounted dozer blade, too. Still have a few things to get, but that's a start.