Not your normal bush hog size question.

/ Not your normal bush hog size question. #1  

dukeyjoe

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035 HST; Long 2610, Takeuchi TL 230 Series 2, Bobcat 773F
Quick question. Looking at buying a new bush hog for the wife's Mahindra 5035 HST 41.5 PTO HP. Wanting a heavier duty model. My question is can a 120 hp gear box 6' bush hog bite off more than a 41.5 HP tractor can chew? I know that 6' is not to big for the tractor, but is a 120 HP gearbox going to make the tractor more susceptible to damage vs. a 90 HP one?

/ Not your normal bush hog size question. #2  
Quick question. Looking at buying a new bush hog for the wife's Mahindra 5035 HST 41.5 PTO HP. Wanting a heavier duty model. My question is can a 120 hp gear box 6' bush hog bite off more than a 41.5 HP tractor can chew? I know that 6' is not to big for the tractor, but is a 120 HP gearbox going to make the tractor more susceptible to damage vs. a 90 HP one?

Id add a real slip clutch. then you can tune it to the torque you want it to slip at and not have to worry about the 120hp shear bolt being to much for a 41hp drive train.

PTO-SLIP-CLUTCH-GR1-6-SPLINE-138-INCH_thumb.jpg

That is if the brush hog doesnt come with one already instead of a shear pin.

/ Not your normal bush hog size question.
Thanks schmism! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. It does come with the slip clutch, so now I'll have to search how to dial one in ;)

/ Not your normal bush hog size question. #4  
A gearbox rated rated about twice or so of tractor HP is about perfect. That gearbox sees a lot of grief when the blade hits cinderblocks and trees with the tractor flywheel behind it.
,,,, The slip clutch is the way to go for sure. Much more graceful than a shear bolt torque spike. Just be sure not to set the clutch too light/loose. It should rarely slip and only in very hi torque situations that are pulling your rpm down quickly. If the clutch runs cool it may be too tight. If its hot and you have not just stalled the tractor its too loose.

/ Not your normal bush hog size question. #5  
Good advice so far and if you later upgrade the tractor for more power you are still covered.

/ Not your normal bush hog size question. #6  
My boss is in the market for a slip clutch to add to his brush hog. This is what happens to the PTO gears and trans case when there's no slip clutch and the shear bolt had been replaced with any old bolt laying around.

I think you are on the right track looking for a heavy duty brush hog, they take a lot of abuse.

/ Not your normal bush hog size question. #7  
Ouch. Replacing the gears would be bad enough, but that busted case makes me cringe.

/ Not your normal bush hog size question.
Lots of good points made in the comments. I appreciate y'all taking the time to give your input. Any opinions about 2 vs. 1 tail wheel on a 6' or 7' cutter.

/ Not your normal bush hog size question. #9  
My boss is in the market for a slip clutch to add to his brush hog. This is what happens to the PTO gears and trans case when there's no slip clutch and the shear bolt had been replaced with any old bolt laying around.

I think you are on the right track looking for a heavy duty brush hog, they take a lot of abuse.
The tractor PTO clutch should slip before that happens. What tractor is that?

/ Not your normal bush hog size question. #10