NOW I KNOW THE MUSIC

/ NOW I KNOW THE MUSIC
Glue Guy,

How does getting 50 hours of service thrown into the deal figure when you buy new and the deal comes with warranty. Do you mean, things not covered under warranty or after the warranty runs out? Not sure...

Joyce

/ NOW I KNOW THE MUSIC
Twinkle Toes,

Oops, guess one cannot assume too much huh? Sorry. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif YES IT COUNTS! Absolutely. She is lucky that you are her biggest fan, and you are lucky to have her music in your life. Does she teach music too? Seems that lots of professioanls get into that. Our particular teacher plays in the Bangor Symphony Orchestra. She teaches the Suzuki method, but she is fond of teaching fiddling as 'dessert' too, but I think I have strayed from the subject of tractors. Never saw any 'rules' on straying from the subject...

I'm not much of a hat wearing person, but I'll check it out. My mom got a JD toy tractor (but she wanted a bigger one), and my sister got lovely leather gloves...one pair for each machine she bought. Maybe because she got the 4700 as her first...you just never know. If I had to choose a hat, it would probably have to be blue with orange lettering.

Joyce

/ NOW I KNOW THE MUSIC
Rat,

Agreed on the violin. My own (I bought my own from a violin and cello maker in Bangor after a year of lessons) is quite old...as much violin as I could get for my money. Not unlike this tractor business. And I guess it's fair to say, that just because one is a tractor fan, does not mean that one cannot enjoy the finer things in life. When I first found this site, the idea of such serious tractor folks conjured up images of guys who lived, ate and breathed ONLY tractors. Sorry for the assumption.

And if you think so highly of Kubotas, is there a reason that you do not own one yourself?

Joyce

/ NOW I KNOW THE MUSIC #14  
Joyce,

Tractorsmart lists the msrp on the RC72-27B mower at $2948. So the dealer is quoting list. He should be willing to give you the same discount as on the tractor.

I dont know how to get list on the non-Kubota items. When you get the brand and model you can do an internet search. Or, just ask the dealer to prove to you what the msrp is from his books.

Many here may not agree with me on this, perhaps, but I think a lot of people make a mistake by trying to buy inexpensive implements after they have bit the bullet to buy the tractor they want. I think this is counterproductive. Consider this: the tractor by itself does nothing. It is simply an engine that pushes, pulls or turns something else-- the implement. It is the implement that is doing the work you want done: mowing, cutting, digging, plowing, lifting, etc.
So if your goal is to have a nice mowed lawn, what's the point in having a wonderful tractor and a cheapo mower. You gotta bite the bullet on the whole package, and look at it as a long term (maybe lifetime) investment.

Bush Hog and Landpride are top line cutters along with Woods. You would want a 60" model for a 2710 from any of these manufacturers. I like Woods' brand new Brushbull line for three reasons: (1) their light duty model is heavier duty than the light duty models of the other brands; (2) the "humpback" design sheds rain and doesnt allow water to pool on top of the deck; (3) the humpback creates more space under the deck to hold more material.

I think most people here who have 72" decks on their 27/2910's believe they made the right decision. But no implement is perfect. Here is a thread that gives a lot of information about the deck:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=owning&Number=53236&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5

There are two problems with the deck we have detected. One is that some people find it hard to insert the pins that hold the deck up when you want to use a rear implement. The best solution is for you to make, or better yet, ask your dealer as part of the salet o make , a "Von rod". See the pictures Von posted at the end of this long thread showing the long rod he made to solve the pin-up problem. You'll understand the problem better after you see the deck installed and ask the dealer to show you how to pin it up.

Another problem some people have found is that one of the wheels doesnt quite touch the ground when the deck is on flat concrete. Some of that is discussed in the thread I just gave, and more is discussed in a thread called "72" MMM Wheels" in the Kubota Owning forum. Dont get too concerned about this because it is a minor problem compared to other problems with other decks. It can be compensated for, and it is not reported to affect the cut. I am only pointing this out because the best thing to do if you get the 72" deck is to have the dealer show it to you, all by itself, on a perfectly flat floor. If all the wheels arent touching, ask him to fix it, with rewelding if necessary. If its ok, install it on the tractor and lower it to the flat floor. Again see if they are all touching. If not, then there is something crooked in the way the dealer installed the linkages.

More than you ever wanted to know, but I hope it helps.

/ NOW I KNOW THE MUSIC #15  
<font color=blue>How does getting 50 hours of service thrown into the deal figure</font color=blue>

None of the "service" is included in the warranty. You still have to buy oil, hyd. fluid, filters, and other "normal" maintenance items. Because a lot of us have issues with large quantities of oil disposal (1 change on a B2710 is around 4 or 5 gallons of fluid), they often get the dealer to do the deed. The first 50 service on my B7500 is running around $200, so I figured it would be a little more for a B2710. Nice to have that figured into the deal if you can get it.

The GlueGuy

/ NOW I KNOW THE MUSIC #16  
Remember this---no matter what tractor you get---size wise---it will never be big enough./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

But you gotta start somewhere--good luck with any color.
Gordon

8-41268-jgforestrytractor.jpg

/ NOW I KNOW THE MUSIC #17  
Joyce,
Absolutly get the 50 hour service I didn't and I'm not looking forward to mine probably in about 3 weeks. Don't keep us in suspence much longer, I sure there are a few gentleman side bets out there! Good luck and happy tractoring!!!

Crown

/ NOW I KNOW THE MUSIC #18  
Joyce,
I named mine Jezebel. ( L3010HST) Close cousin to Clementine. Everyone should name there pride and joy
Jay

/ NOW I KNOW THE MUSIC
Glue Guy,

Long before I ever became even a small tractor owner, I have heard of people using the used diesel oil for wood preservation. I used it on an outdoor wood fence, and it worked great. It lasts longer than any other stains that I have bought. But it does have the drawback of being a bit smelly for a couple of seasons, the first being the worst, so you wouldn't want the stuff on your house /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif! But I guess at 4 or 5 gallons at a change, you might collect more than you could use on any fences, huh?

I used to work at a recycling ceter when we lived in Mass., and I used to hear of repair garages using used motor oil as fuel for burners. Wonder if they have those for diesel fuel...?

I will definately try to get the 50 hour service in my deal. At first I misunderstood the comment as 50 hourS of service. That is why I did not understand. Thanks for the tip.

/ NOW I KNOW THE MUSIC
Glennmac,

I'm glad I'm not the only one in this forum to write in essay form. And I always appreciate the extra details. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bush hog. I was looking at my literature again (a regular habit), and I noticed that when they gave me the Land Pride catalog, they also gave me a price list sheet. On the back side of the price list sheet, was prices for Woods equipment, but no pictures. Little in the way of details. I'll go looking.

If you are recommending the 60" bush hog, then perhaps a 72" is too much for the 2710? It's only a foot, but I am curious. The literature is sketchy about recommended HP to run various models. I would suggest that a person needs to look at what kind of terrain they have, and such. Any more ideas beyond this?

Thanks for the thread on the decks. One in particular caught my eye, from Philip Bisaga. BECAUSE he owns the 2710 and uses a bagger, but had to settle for the 60" deck instead. I wasn't sure how to reach him in this fourm, because I think that thread was older, so I just e-mailed him. I was curious how he liked the bagger, and how he felt a smaller deck worked (knowing that it would not allow someone to get as close to edging, etc.). I was even so bold /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif as to ask him to go mow a circle in uncut grass and tell me what size the uncut circle was when he was done. Guess it proved to be a bit too pushy, (he didn't), but he gave a rough estimate. You know me...I want exact...what a surprise /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif!!!

The insights with the problems of getting decks off is nice to know in advance. Especially that I should be looking to have all four wheels touching the floor before it is put on the tractor. Reading through the 'drive over', 'jack' and other solutions to get the deck off will be invaluable. The jack idea sounds attractive, and I think we have a tall enough jack to do the job. We might even have a couple of old house jacks around (leftover from working on a 200+ year old house in Mass.).

Von should get a patent on his 'Von-rod'. Great idea.

Last question on the bush hog. I have looked under many of them in all of my trips to the dealerships. I have noticed that some of them work with a HUGE and sturdy looking lawnmower blade. Reminded me of the jolly green giant version for 'his' push mower. And then I have seen some with a circle of metal with two shorter blades sticking out. I think I have seen the literature call it the 'stump jumper'. I am sure that there is some thread with answers to the question 'is one better or specifically designed than the other'? If it is out there and I have missed it, could you help me find it? Or if not, feel free to jump in with your ever increasing list of bits of free information. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Joyce