Now I Need A Grapple. . .

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #41  
Well, that's all you'll need... Except for the grapple of course:D

Not knowing which connectors they installed on the hoses on your tractor. You might want to discuss the connectors you have when you call EA, so they can install the correct quick couplers that will match up to yours.

I didn't discuss this, and had to take off the connectors shipped on the grapple, and buy some that worked with what was installed on my tractor

Aren't most manufacturers using flat face couplers?

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #42  
Aren't most manufacturers using flat face couplers?

Not that I'm aware of. My CX105, MX5100, and the implements I rent from the local co-op have pioneer

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #43  
Like everything else, it depends on how much use you expect to have for a grapple.
I love EA products, but the EA 60" Wicked root grapple is $2650.
In my case, the bottom teeth on that grapple were not a design I felt would work well for ripping vines out of trees/bushes.
In addition, I will only use a grapple occasionally, since I have EA forks, a bucket, ratchet rake, and a very capable 11' dig hoe.

I bought a 60" root grapple from Mid State Attachments (Denton NC) for $1152.
Certainly not nearly as precisely made as EA stuff, but still, seemingly very capable.
It does not have any zerk fittings at the wear points, but I will remedy that, for just a very few additional $.

$1152 v/s $2650 is a $1502 difference, and as above, the EA tooth design was not acceptable for my use anyway.
The EA grapple weighs 400#, while my grapple weighs 500#.
Not a big difference for my Kubota L48TLB.

BTW: Mid State Attachments shipped me the wrong grapple first.
No problem!
They paid return shipping, and immediately shipped the correct model.
GREAT folks to deal with!
Maybe it is in the North Carolina water?

I get all that. I researched many grapples. I bought the EA because I thought it was the best grapple for the money. And, would hold up to the abuse my CXZ could throw at it.

I did have an issue. One call to Travis and he e mailed me a shipping label to ship the grapple back.
It's been solid since. I cleared an entire 10 acre pasture with this grapple. digging up rocks and back dragging the soil

I'm a very happy EA wicked customer

Some love a diesel truck, and pay xtra for it. I did
Some don't and wouldn't..
I completely understand that

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #44  
I get all that. I researched many grapples. I bought the EA because I thought it was the best grapple for the money. And, would hold up to the abuse my CXZ could throw at it.

I did have an issue. One call to Travis and he e mailed me a shipping label to ship the grapple back.
It's been solid since. I cleared an entire 10 acre pasture with this grapple. digging up rocks and back dragging the soil

I'm a very happy EA wicked customer

Some love a diesel truck, and pay xtra for it. I did
Some don't and wouldn't..
I completely understand that

I get it!
I have two EA attachments, and they are GREAT!
If EA had a root grapple design that met my needs, I probably would have bought it.

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #45  
Mid state shows their 60'' E series for ''lower HP machines'' @1499.99 plus shipping
Is this the one you purchased ?

I would like for the lower tines on the EA to be a little longer. But, it works well like it is.
If doing heavy digging in hard dirt / rocks ,The longer the tines the better chance of bending them

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #46  
Mid state shows their 60'' E series for ''lower HP machines'' @1499.99 plus shipping
Is this the one you purchased ?

I would like for the lower tines on the EA to be a little longer. But, it works well like it is.
If doing heavy digging in hard dirt / rocks ,The longer the tines the better chance of bending them

YES, That IS the model I purchased from Mid State.
$900 + 252 shipping ...last month.

I also saw that MS price listed on the internet.
Instead, a direct call to "Connie" at Mid State, got me the $900 price.
Calling any small manufacturer directly, will sometimes get a much better price.

I am replacing all 6 pins with very slightly larger brass pins and zerks.
The factory pins were VERY (1/8") sloppy, and steel on steel, with no zerks!

It was not a surprise. For the price I got exactly what I expected.
The replacement brass pins, nuts, etc. cost me less than $60.
Why brass? Much easier to deep drill for grease passages, and if there is any wear, it will be the brass pins, instead of the A-36 steel fabricated grapple parts, or the cylinder end fittings.

The longer tines are EXACTLY what I wanted!
I would need to work at it to bend them.
There is not a "rock" larger than a dime within 5 miles of here.
Pure natural sand.
Well drillers NEVER hit any rocks!

Last edited:
   / Now I Need A Grapple. . . #48  
Okey Doke. . . I called EA and talked to Travis. Really nice guy and very helpful. Learned a lot from a short conversation. Not knowing what I don't know, I kinda focused on the Wicked Root Grapple with the dual lids and long bottom tines, but after talking to Travis, I believe I am leaning more toward the Wicked Root RAKE Grapple. Grabbing brush, logs and pulling vines out of trees seem to be in the wheelhouse of the first one mentioned.

I like the EA a lot, but as Fried1765 and others mention, there are other grapples out there that will do the job and at an easier price point.

Shipping would be $35 to get it to my pick-up point. But 10 Weeks Out! ! ! I'd love to have a business that was that busy.

Unless you are pressed for time, the EA 60" wicked grapple is a perfect fit for the MX series and what I own. I do not feel that I'd get better productivity from a dual lid grapple. In the year I've had it, I've moved lots of logs right at the weight limit of the loader. About 2000 lbs. No problem. I have moved the occasional boulder too. Mostly I use it for brush clearing and gathering. In a week or two, I'm going to use it to serve logs to a saw mill. That will be fun! So far, no damage if you don't count the paint. I also use it to tend burn piles. The grapple and tractor look like Mongo lighting his cigar during the beans scene of blazing saddles. :) I just reach in there and stir things around. Everything comes out sooty. The tractor gets a bath later. The grapple, not so much...

The only negative thing I'll say, is that EA should offer a hose management solution. I had to go to Ken's bolt-on hooks to get a springy thing to support the hoses. i'd rather do one-stop shopping. Of course, while you are over at Kens bolt-on hooks, order some bolt-on hooks for your loader bucket. :)

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . .
Unless you are pressed for time, the EA 60" wicked grapple is a perfect fit for the MX series and what I own. I do not feel that I'd get better productivity from a dual lid grapple. In the year I've had it, I've moved lots of logs right at the weight limit of the loader. About 2000 lbs. No problem. I have moved the occasional boulder too. Mostly I use it for brush clearing and gathering. In a week or two, I'm going to use it to serve logs to a saw mill. That will be fun! So far, no damage if you don't count the paint. I also use it to tend burn piles. The grapple and tractor look like Mongo lighting his cigar during the beans scene of blazing saddles. :) I just reach in there and stir things around. Everything comes out sooty. The tractor gets a bath later. The grapple, not so much...

The only negative thing I'll say, is that EA should offer a hose management solution. I had to go to Ken's bolt-on hooks to get a springy thing to support the hoses. i'd rather do one-stop shopping. Of course, while you are over at Kens bolt-on hooks, order some bolt-on hooks for your loader bucket. :)

Yep, I am 99% going with the EA Wicked Root Grapple. Moved on from the dual lid after talking to the EA folks. I will be using mostly for the things you described.
A2D47B5C-7529-467F-BCB0-BAD15301AECE.jpeg

/ Now I Need A Grapple. . . #50  
I solved the hose management thing with a bungee cord tye wrapped one end in the center of the hose bundle going to the grapple. Other end hooks on to a fitting up on the loader arm. Cost is about a dollar, and take less than a second to attach the end on the loader and the cord will last several years. When it dies, spend the dollar and get you another one. Simple, Cheap, easy to deploy and works very well to keep your hoses from hanging up on things etc. Highly recommended by me. :)