Now this is how to build a unique house!!!!

/ Now this is how to build a unique house!!!! #31  
The city building department approved the house build, but the city engineer did not approve the curb cut for the driveway. The engineer probably said "that street doesn't exist yet, so how can we give you a permit ??"

/ Now this is how to build a unique house!!!! #32  
Yep, I agree with you & Rustyiron. Especially with that paved footpath (you'd call it a sidewalk) going where no one would normally walk.

Mind you, if the 'plans' called for it then the contractors will do it.

And if it doesn't, they won't!

We had a building at work with a greenhouse on top. They poured all the floors flat and set the floor drains above grade. The contractor explained to me it wasn't specified in the plans.

I explained to him there were no instructions in the restrooms telling me to wipe my butt and flush either. I just knew to do it. I then suggested he find a new line of work.

/ Now this is how to build a unique house!!!! #33  
Way back when I grew up, there was a saying, "pictures don't lie".

Unfortunately that is no longer true. :(

/ Now this is how to build a unique house!!!! #34  
I once did some renovation work on a house that had about as crazy a garage setup as in that photo.
First off it would have been impossible to get a car in and then when you opened the garage door there was a huge 'step' poured over the bedrock that the builder did not blast away due to cost.
As a result the garage floor looked like a giants staircase that even a ladder was needed to gain access to each level.

In our area there is generally little soil coverage over bedrock.
One house I worked on had to spend $75,000. on blasting before they could pour a foundation.
Then you have to haul away all that blasted rock to an approved land fill site.

/ Now this is how to build a unique house!!!! #35  
It's funny, but I really have to wonder how they got this far into it and nobody said anything?

View attachment 461415

Somebody just showed me this photo on Facebook. Aside from the paving contractor getting thing wrong, this house is a prime example of bad mixture of architectural themes making mud.

/ Now this is how to build a unique house!!!! #36  
It's either built like that on purpose as it's a model, or it was simply a mistake by the GC or someone switching up two sets of plans. The concrete guys did the concrete work, when the builders got there it was clear it was wrong, they weren't idiots but they figured we could either sit on our asses while waiting for this to be torn out and redone, or since the building pad is correct we can start building and let the concrete guys fix it later.

No big deal either way... :)

/ Now this is how to build a unique house!!!! #37  
This house was built like this on purpose for guys like me who have so many dirtbikes, chainsaws, engines, tractor hoods and dirtbike frames needing sandblasting, dirtbikes with clothes piled up on them, unused gymn equipment b/c of all the other prior mentioned items, welding machines, paint cans, gas cans, other cans, trimmers, half finished projects, half-assed projects, projects never to be completed, new projects taking precedence over prior mentioned projects......THAT THERE IS NO CHANCE A CAR IS EVER GOING IN THE ATTACHED GARAGE IN SAID PERSON'S LIFETIME. CASE CLOSED!
Goodnight everybody!

/ Now this is how to build a unique house!!!! #38  
This house was built like this on purpose for guys like me who have so many dirtbikes, chainsaws, engines, tractor hoods and dirtbike frames needing sandblasting, dirtbikes with clothes piled up on them, unused gymn equipment b/c of all the other prior mentioned items, welding machines, paint cans, gas cans, other cans, trimmers, half finished projects, half-assed projects, projects never to be completed, new projects taking precedence over prior mentioned projects......THAT THERE IS NO CHANCE A CAR IS EVER GOING IN THE ATTACHED GARAGE IN SAID PERSON'S LIFETIME. CASE CLOSED!
Goodnight everybody!

NOR IS THERE A CHANCE THAT THE HOUSE WILL EVER BE SOLD, WITHOUT A STEEP DISCOUNT.

/ Now this is how to build a unique house!!!! #39  
The drives that are a 45 degree slope I've got no answer other then wtf?

I was thinking that somebody finally came up with a new angle (pun intended) on selling boxes in the 'burbs....

For the discerning home buyer who loves crawlin' at Moab, but doesn't have time to drive there every weekend.

Reminded me of the Jeep ad that used to run 5+ years back, where the guy drives over a steep rock embankment at the gated entrance to his estate......

Rgds, D.