npt vs nptf

/ npt vs nptf #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I know the difference is basically in the major and minor diameters...however i was looking at a hyd valve at tsc and it mentioned work ports were npt 1/2" and in and out port were 3/4" nptf

is that a typo on their part.. or? what.

I see they only sell npt adapters.. no nptf parts.. etc.

Will npt adapters or npt fittings work sufficiently in nptf tapped valves?

soundguy

/ npt vs nptf #2  

Attachments

• NPT_NPTF.JPG
    NPT_NPTF.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 7,228
   / npt vs nptf
cool , thanks.

so them, according tot he chart.. the female nptf threads will be compatible with the male npt threads from hoses or fittings.. etc.

soundguy

/ npt vs nptf #4  
cool , thanks.

so them, according tot he chart.. the female nptf threads will be compatible with the male npt threads from hoses or fittings.. etc.

soundguy

My luck with NPT and NPTF hyd fittings is spotty. That's why I use only ORB and JIC fittings when building new stuff. And I look for hyd cylinders, valves etc that use these fitting types and settle for NPT and NPTF only when I can't find anything else.

/ npt vs nptf #5  
I spent over 30 years in the high performance control valve industry. NPTF is a "Dry Seal" thread made for sealing without pipe dope, Teflon, paste, etc. NPTF has tighter control over thread form as well as the actual inspection measurements including L1, L3, and Truncation. NPT is much more common all over the world. So......from my experience, a properly made NPT with sealant applied to the male thread in a way that it does not enter the fluid is perfectly acceptable. This means any tape is wrapped well aft of the end of the fitting and any thread sealant is applied well aft as well so it cannot enter the flow stream.

/ npt vs nptf
My luck with NPT and NPTF hyd fittings is spotty. That's why I use only ORB and JIC fittings when building new stuff. And I look for hyd cylinders, valves etc that use these fitting types and settle for NPT and NPTF only when I can't find anything else.

I don't have the option in my application.. I'm retrofitting some parts for an antique tractor.. and it's all pipe thread all over the thing..

soundguy

/ npt vs nptf #7  
I guess I just admit it and say I wanna hijack the thread, but, you guys are talking about something that's I'm involved with. Only banjo fittings are my nemisis right now. The local Hyd. shop says their only european or asian tractors and they don't have any ends US or metric. Are there any other tractors or machine you guy are familiar with use Banjo style ends or should I just give up and start tryin' weld pipe fittings or ream and tap pipe threads to anything that's got banjo fittings on it. I've heard most compacts tractors are european or asian built anyhow so do they come with Banjo fittings? Oh, by the way I own the JM354 Jinma tractor and just got done installing a double remote sytem on it. bjr

/ npt vs nptf #8  
Banjo fittings shouldn't be a problem for a good hydraulic shop. I have had a couple of them made up before for high pressure fuel lines on diesel engines and oil lines. I also keep a good assortment of banjo fittings with barbed hose end's on hand to make up low pressure fuel lines. Sounds like you might need to find another hydraulic shop.

/ npt vs nptf
I guess I just admit it and say I wanna hijack the thread, but, you guys are talking about something that's I'm involved with. Only banjo fittings are my nemisis right now. The local Hyd. shop says their only european or asian tractors and they don't have any ends US or metric. Are there any other tractors or machine you guy are familiar with use Banjo style ends or should I just give up and start tryin' weld pipe fittings or ream and tap pipe threads to anything that's got banjo fittings on it. I've heard most compacts tractors are european or asian built anyhow so do they come with Banjo fittings? Oh, by the way I own the JM354 Jinma tractor and just got done installing a double remote sytem on it. bjr

I have banjo hyd fittings on ford and NH tractors.

if your hyds shop acts like a banjo fitting is some mythical creature.. get a new shop.. heck.. my local dealer can get the old 50's era banjo fittings using the old ford part number I gave him...13$ a piece or so..

soundguy

/ npt vs nptf #10  
NPTF has tighter control over thread form as well as the actual inspection measurements including L1, L3, and Truncation.

I'm an inspector in an aerospace machine shop and this true but the thing you may not be aware of is that a NPT is generally gauged with a L1 thread gauge.