Nuffield freshen up

/ Nuffield freshen up #1  

uniongoon

My wife said when I bought my tractor, "it wont be long, you'll have it ripped apart in the garage and re doing everything". Well, she wasnt far off the mark, although I just call it a pre winter tune up.
Took the rad in and got it hot tanked and flushed
Nuffieldresto011.jpg

Took apart the power steering hoses, pump and reservoir. Mount was broke so I welded it up. Cleaned out the tank and cleaned up the hose ends.
All new battery cables, oil change, cleaned up the valve cover.
Nuffieldresto007.jpg

Nuffieldresto013.jpg

While I am at it, banged out the dents in the nose and hood, might as well get her painted.
Nuffieldresto005.jpg

Nuffieldresto010.jpg

Re-doing the name plates should be fun, gonna have to paint the lettering over again. You can sort of make out the original lettering NUFFIELD 10/60
Nuffieldresto009.jpg

/ Nuffield freshen up #2  
I've never heard of a Nuffield, can you provide some history? Can you get decals for the lettering? Looks like a lot of fun!

/ Nuffield freshen up
I had never heard of them either until I bought this one. The price was right even though it had not been maintained very well. 2 litres of sludge in the crankcase and a transaxle full of water. But it was big enough to hold a 3 point backhoe and that was what I needed.
Then the hydraulics werent up to par so I built an external hydraulic system that works just great.
Nuffields were introduced to North America out of Britain, I believe in around 1949-50. The 10/60 was their biggest machine in 1963, 10 speed/60 horsepower. The company faltered in the late 60's, was bought out by Leyland and then went **** up around '71.
Here is how she looked when I got it
tractor3.jpg

After backhoe/ hydraulics install
garfloor003.jpg

I bought it as a workhorse, but I cant own a machine and not make it clean and functioning as it should.

/ Nuffield freshen up #5  
The 10/60 was a great tractor.....Leyland did'nt dissapear,They carried on into the yellow ones and marshalls for years after...

Last edited:
   / Nuffield freshen up #6  
I have a slightly newer Nuffield 345 (3 cyl. 45 hp). I believe it was made around 1968. They made the same tractor with 4 cylinders and called it a 465. My tractor is strong and runs great. I've never been able to find a front end loader for it.

/ Nuffield freshen up
I figured loaders were pretty generic, meaning one from a Massey Ferg 235 would convert quite easily to a tractor of similar size like your 345.

/ Nuffield freshen up
The 10/60 was a great tractor.....Leyland did'nt dissapear,They carried on into the yellow ones and marshalls for years after...

Yes, so I just learned. Marshall bought the remaining 600 (some think only 300) Leylands and re tagged them with Marshall. There must have been some burned creditors, because an investigation was launched to investigate the sale/takeover. Insufficient evidence was the result.

/ Nuffield freshen up
Got a lot done since I last posted. Oil filter was missing parts including the spring, which when missing renders filter useless, flushed and replaced oil in steering box, injector pump and power steering system. Cooling system sealed up and working beautifully now.
VALVECOVER010.jpg

Hydraulics tidied up
VALVECOVER008.jpg

Replicated the hood badges. Replacements were over $50, so some creative masking and painting did the job, still need to give them a shot of clear to protect my work
nuffybadge001.jpg

Same for the valve cover and badge, not an exact copy of the BMC logo, but no one has heard of them anyhow, so I did not make a career out of it.
VALVECOVER005.jpg

VALVECOVER006.jpg

And finally, I am picking away at the grill and hood tin work. Just doing a quick job, not a show stopper.
VALVECOVER003.jpg

I will try to keep this post continuous as I progress.

/ Nuffield freshen up #10  
Nice work !
I have just aquired this one with a property we now own. Runs well !

Attachments

• Nuffield 10_42.JPG
    Nuffield 10_42.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 952