Nylock Nut

/ Nylock Nut
Thank you everyone for the input...greatly appreciated.

I was hoping someone would say " Oh yeah, that's a "so and so" nut and you can get it here"...but I will take your suggestions and buy several nuts from McMaster Carr and try them. I know the nut is not SAE because I brought up 3/4 and 7/8 fine thread nuts to try.

I don't have any REAL hardware stores and I don't really want to drive my old gas guzzling Blazer around the Los Angeles area to find this nut. The Home Depot and Lowe's are worthless for stuff like this. My local Baseline hardware store just went out of business. It's a lot easier to get a Late' cofee or a tan here in So CA than running into a tractor store. Plus driving ANYWHERE around here is out of the question. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'd rather pay UPS charges.

The phone calls I made to several references from the Ace hardware guy (who did not have one) told me they did not carry any metrics over 20mm. (BS)

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys...

/ Nylock Nut
Thank you wusha,
But the nut I need has about 17 threads per inch or 1.5mm pitch. Also, the 20mm is too small. And as I stated, most of these guys stop at 20mm like the link you gave me.

/ Nylock Nut #13  
You would have to call this place to order and they have a $15.00 minimum order. They have up to 48mm available.

nuts

/ Nylock Nut #14  
Two possible solutions.
The reason it has a nyloc nut on there is so that it will not back off.
Use some red loctite. Maybe that is all you need to do.

Or, find a nyloc nut that is a little smaller, metric or sae, and buy a thread die of the same diameter and pitch, and rethread the end of that pin so the nut goes on perfectly.

/ Nylock Nut #15  
I'd Like to reiterate Boat Guy's suggestion of investing in a thread guage I bought one 10 years ago ( $8.00 ). It's one of those things that you can live without but once you have one you realize at three times the price you wish you'd have bought it sooner. In seconds you have the exact size and thread count and you're on your way, it's also a lot faster at finding the right bolt size in your bolt and screw bin than trying to fit a sample nut.

/ Nylock Nut #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How about taking the bolt to a Kubota dealer. We know that nothing they sell is made in the states /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif so they likely have a good selection of metric, if that's in fact what it is. . . . )</font>

I haven't found this to be the case. I have a Kubota tractor with a "Kubota" front end loader and a "Kubota" backhoe. In changing a few things I've found both the implements' fasteners to be US standard and the tractor fasteners are metric. YMMV

/ Nylock Nut #17  
I don't know where you're located in SoCal. But, assuming you're not in the middle of a city. Try checking your independent auto parts houses. In my small town we have a parts place that is affiliated with NAPA. This store has lots of big truck and tractor parts and it's the only place in town that stocks any grade 8 bolts and they also stock nylock nuts in the larger sizes.

Nylock nuts in general and especially in heavy friction areas, like on your backhoe, are a one time use only nut. You might get by with a second time in light friction use. However, if you change buckets frequently, when you find what you need, get a bunch to have some spares so you can replace them when they fall off or when you change buckets.

/ Nylock Nut
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( However, if you change buckets frequently, when you find what you need, get a bunch to have some spares so you can replace them when they fall off or when you change buckets.)</font>
That's a good suggestion, Dave...
Thanks,

/ Nylock Nut #20  
3RRL, The one I have is a machinist guage If that makes a difference I don't know. It has about 25 blades it will signify 1/4" + twenty thread, # 10 + 32 thread etc. it's possible that the same thread on two different size bolts may have a different pitch /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif all I know is when I hit the right one the fit is so good there is no doubt. I'm sure someone out there knows more than me and can explain it better.