Obsolete parts

/ Obsolete parts #11  

The part I am lacking is the final lever for the forward reverse shifter going into the transmission. About a 30 spline connection with about a 3" arm. Just wear in the spline after so much shifting.

Gregg
Howdy Gregg,

Did you by chance try Messick's? And do you have a part #?
L2550DT.png

/ Obsolete parts #12  
On my L2550DT, with the glide shift, it is sad when I need a piece of transmission linkage and I get the response after I find and order it online of "part no longer available". Hmmmm.
Which website did you use to order it from?

/ Obsolete parts
From Messicks: "Dear Customer I regret to inform you that part 32430-23280 LEVER, SHUTTLE is no longer available thru Messicks or any of our obsolete vendors. Your order has been canceled and your credit card has not been charged. We are sorry for this inconvenience."
Same response from my local dealer. Tried looking for parts tractors but struck out and if I had found one possibly run the risk of a part similar to mine due to wear. I may just ID the spline and make one myself.
I found a work around for now but finding the correct new part would be the ultimate solution of course.

/ Obsolete parts #14  
In "normal" times Kubota is very good with legacy parts.

However, since Covid, low volume legacy parts are off the radar.
Agreed, better than many.

/ Obsolete parts #15  
Some local dealers might still have the old part in stock; just call around and ask. I've found that the local dealer pricing on parts is generally quite close to internet pricing.
Any dealer parts department can check available dealer stock for NLS parts if they choose to do so.

Doubt that this can be done online by consumers.

/ Obsolete parts #16  
The tractor has done me well for over 6100 hours. 1984 I believe. Tough hours too I might add. Repairs have been doable in my shop and for a tractor that developed 75 acres, it is still going strong.

I had an issue with front wheel bearings going out and housings cracked then I studied how I had turned the wheels to the wider stance to match the rears. Once I took the load off the outer bearing and centered the wheel over both front bearings I have had no issues for over a couple thousand hours. I had to split it a couple years back to do the clutch. Had to put in a new front pinion gear due to a bearing failure and the coupler on the front driveline stripped out. All in all I think it has done a remarkable job for a little machine. Lots of little inconsequential things like belts and starters, typical of anything I suppose.

The part I am lacking is the final lever for the forward reverse shifter going into the transmission. About a 30 spline connection with about a 3" arm. Just wear in the spline after so much shifting.

It gets regular greasing and an oil change every 100 hours like clockwork. Hydraulic filter every year and hydraulic fluid and filter every 300 or so hours.

Gregg

Dang! That is a serious amount of hours and sounds like it has been about as good as anything mechanical can be. And thank you for all the information.

Noticed that you didn't say anything about wear on engine, transmission, or hydraulics. That's pretty impressive. It sounds like a tractor worth some effort to keep it going.

How do you like glide shift after all those hours?

Hm... a short splined shaft with worn splines. That's a stinker. Machinable, but not a simple job. I see you gave a part number. Gotta go see what it looks like for myself.
rScotty

/ Obsolete parts #17  
From Messicks: "Dear Customer I regret to inform you that part 32430-23280 LEVER, SHUTTLE is no longer available thru Messicks or any of our obsolete vendors. Your order has been canceled and your credit card has not been charged. We are sorry for this inconvenience."
Same response from my local dealer. Tried looking for parts tractors but struck out and if I had found one possibly run the risk of a part similar to mine due to wear. I may just ID the spline and make one myself.
I found a work around for now but finding the correct new part would be the ultimate solution of course.

OK. I went to Messicks and see the part. My guess is that a temporary fix would be to drill and tap the lever and put in a socket head grub screw (set screw) to tighten the splines. Of course that messes up the splined shaft that the lever fits on....

What's more interesting is that Kubota uses that same lever on 16 different GST models including some later ones. AND that on several of those models there is a serial number break. Photos show that the serial number break was to add another leverage point to the lever when used on different models....and a new part number. Same price & looks to be the same piece.
New serial number is nearly the same; only the final digit is changed: 32430-23283.
See the inset to the right on the photo below for the L3450DT-GST.

It might be worth seeing if they have that one. I'd be willing to bet $42.10 it's the same part.
How is the shaft # 090? Is it usable?
rScotty

Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 9.59.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 9.59.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 9.59.26 AM.png

/ Obsolete parts
A couple weeks ago I did EXACTLY as you suggested but I added two 1/4-20 cap screws with locking nuts and sacrificed the potential damage to the shaft thinking if I found the part in the future a die grinder would easily remove the damage. Great minds think alike!!!!!!!!! :)

Shaft appears to be fine as it is the harder of the two.

/ Obsolete parts #19  
IIRC, if the last digit is the only change, IE from 0 to 2 or 3, it should work. It is a factory part update to the original part.

Last edited:
   / Obsolete parts #20  
A couple weeks ago I did EXACTLY as you suggested but I added two 1/4-20 cap screws with locking nuts and sacrificed the potential damage to the shaft thinking if I found the part in the future a die grinder would easily remove the damage. Great minds think alike!!!!!!!!! :)

Shaft appears to be fine as it is the harder of the two.
It appears that the spline is the same on the two-part numbers so the worst case would be to cut the arm from the old splined hub and weld it onto the new splined hub.