OEM Filters

/ OEM Filters #11  
I use oem filters on all of my equipment.JD,Kioti and Kubota.

/ OEM Filters
It is said "You can judge a man's intelligence by how much he agrees with you". :D: :laughing:

I've always gone aftermarket with Wix/NAPA filters. I do not believe for one second that OEM filters are anything but somebody else's product painted in OEM colors.

Same for engine oil, IMHO. If it meets the API specifications listed in the owner's manual, you're good to go.

One gray area, at least for me, is transmission fluid for hydro transmissions. It does seem reasonable to me that Kubota may use different additives than John Deere or Case/IH, for instance. I'd be interested in well-documented evidence to support or refute that idea.

/ OEM Filters #13  
For my autos (even new ones) I usually go aftermarket. Fram, whatever. I have always felt comfortable with the stability of the automotive aftermarket (up-to-date info/specs getting to the aftermarket manufacturers).

For my tractors, I always go with OEM. The dealer is close by and I just feel better about it. As often as these are changed (not very often for me), the cost(s) difference (if any) doesn't really matter.

And for a real silly reason... with tractors, everything is out in the open on display. The OEM stuff is visible and just looks right! (Told you it was kind of silly!)

/ OEM Filters #14  
Dealers can't gouge you too badly because of the aftermarket filters. Good thing! So, in my mind, there is not enough difference to take a chance on what could potentially be a very expensive lesson, so why bother. It also alows me to support my equipment dealers which I would rarely see.

I do however use Kubota Filters in non Kobota Equipment equipment that have Kubota engines because some of these manufacturers take you to the cleaners. Have you bought an oil filter for an ONAN genset lately?

/ OEM Filters #15  
For my autos (even new ones) I usually go aftermarket. Fram, whatever. I have always felt comfortable with the stability of the automotive aftermarket (up-to-date info/specs getting to the aftermarket manufacturers).

I'm not suggesting you're wrong...just saying that up front. :)

The concern I have with aftermarket filters in the automotive scenario is that I don't think the specifications for equivalency include filtration requirements. For example, the standard Fram filters are considered by many to be quite poor when it comes to their actual ability to filter (and I used them for years back in the day). On the flip side, some brands are considered to be significantly better than most OEM from a filtration standpoint. That leaves a wide range of quality when it comes down to actual filtration, but all are considered equivalents because they fit and meet some of the other requirements (size, etc). If someone buys OEM, at least they know it will meet the filtration requirements the OEM feels are reasonable.

On the equipment side of the things, it doesn't seem that standards are nearly so tightly controlled. I've spent a fair amount of time cross-referencing filters and noted that there are many times a filter is listed as an OEM equivalent, but there are significant differences in things like by-pass pressures (if it has a valve), flow rates, burst pressures, etc. I can't help but think that some of those companies think that if the filter fits the threads, and has the right gasket diameter, it's good enough.

With all of that said, I've used a lot of aftermarket filters over the years and haven't had any problems, but I've tried to do some research before making the switch.

/ OEM Filters #16  
I live in a rural area. My tractor dealer is 20 miles away. Next closest is 60 miles.

The owner of the dealer and his employees are good local people. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks supporting them by buying consumables like oil and filters from them.

/ OEM Filters #17  
I use oem always now. I tried napa/wix for a spell, and had immediate issues in the hydraulics of my kubota tractor. As soon as I put kubota hyd filters back on, issue was gone and tractor operated noticeably smoother. That convinced me.

Now I did not have any issues with napa engine filter, fuel filter, or air filters, but to keep it simple and peace of mind, its all oem now.

I still use napa and fram on my vehicles, but I think for some reason, tractors, especially the newer ones seem a bit more fussy. In fact I now feel that the way they build all this new stuff, it might be even more important to stick with oem as compared to the older, simpler equipment.

Maybe my kubota hydraulic filter experience with napa/wix was just a fluke, but I am not taking any more chances, so I personally will stick with oem.

/ OEM Filters #18  
I've spent a fair amount of time cross-referencing filters and noted that there are many times a filter is listed as an OEM equivalent, but there are significant differences in things like by-pass pressures (if it has a valve), flow rates, burst pressures, etc. I can't help but think that some of those companies think that if the filter fits the threads, and has the right gasket diameter, it's good enough.

<jokingly> I get the mental image of you, locked away in a darkened back room of your house, lit only by the glow of the computer monitor as you cross-reference filter after filter... a 'white board' in the background with filter photos, scribbled notes and arrows pointing back & forth. :laughing:

/ OEM Filters #19  
I use OEM. Dealer is close by and the price difference is not worth driving to get a buck or two off.