Oil & Fuel Off Road Diesel Fuel

/ Off Road Diesel Fuel #1  

rawaits

Tractor
2003 New Holland TN65 4wd
what is preferable in diesel tractors? Off road diesel fuel or the kind available everywhere (at more cost)? thanks, rick

/ Off Road Diesel Fuel #3  
It is the same thing

The difference in price is the road taxes. They made 'em dye the off road fuel so truckers couldn't beat the taxes; big fine to be caught on the highway w/ dyed fuel

/ Off Road Diesel Fuel #4  
Depending on where you live (wink wink fill out your profile some more), you may be able to apply for a refund for road/undyed (taxed) diesel that is used for an untaxed (off road) purpose..

Here in VA the state tax is $0.175/gal and I think you get most (possibly less $0.01) back..You do have to buy atleast 5 gallons or more.

Unless you are using A LOT of fuel, and have a supplier close by, I wouldnt go out of my way to find untaxed fuel.. I would just buy from a supplier that has a pretty good turn over in inventory so you know the fuel is fresh..

Brian

/ Off Road Diesel Fuel #5  
what is preferable in diesel tractors?
* Off road diesel fuel or the kind available everywhere (at more cost)? thanks, rick
There is no such thing as on road VS off road around here, only taxed or tax free.

I get 55 gallon tax free for this delivered free .

/ Off Road Diesel Fuel #6  
Don't know this for a fact, but I was told by a guy that was busted for having red die diesel in his pick up that the fine was $1000 per gallon of capacity of the vehicle. He had 2 tanks on his truck and was able to talk the fine down to what one of the tanks would hold. 19 gallons = 19k :eek: It is common around here that these guys with the 100 gallon tanks in the beds of there trucks for refueling their construction tractors, fuel their trucks with it also, not real smart.

Oh, and here in Calif. the savings in off road vs on road is about 30 some cents per gallon.

/ Off Road Diesel Fuel #7  
We have at least one local station that gives an off-road discount for diesel put into a container other than the tank of you truck if you ask for it. Last time I got diesel it was about 30 cents per gallon tax refund. Not quite as low a price as real off-road diesel, but a lot more convenient.

Best of all, it is the non-dyed on-road diesel you get, straight from the same pump as anyone else...

/ Off Road Diesel Fuel #8  
I've always thought there was a difference between the on road diesel and the off road stuff?? The off road has sulfur in it, but the on road has most (if not all) sulfur removed from it? Otherwise, why have the two different grades to start with??

A JD dealer I've bought stuff from before says to use the off road because the sulfur helps to lubricate the engine better. Can anyone back that up????

/ Off Road Diesel Fuel #9  
I've always thought there was a difference between the on road diesel and the off road stuff?? The off road has sulfur in it, but the on road has most (if not all) sulfur removed from it? Otherwise, why have the two different grades to start with??

A JD dealer I've bought stuff from before says to use the off road because the sulfur helps to lubricate the engine better. Can anyone back that up????

It's not two different grades

It is possible for off road to be LSD but after the end of the year it will all be ULSD

/ Off Road Diesel Fuel #10  
In Calif. the difference is no road tax and it is dyed red. The actual fuel is the same as far as I know.