Off road diesel - How do you find locations?

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #81  
I can remember many many moons ago the
people used McDonald's cooking oil in their
diesels they had two tanks one was full of
diesel and the other was full of cooking oil.
they would start their diesel with the diesel
when hot switch over to the cooking oil and
when they were going to stop switched over
to the diesel and they never had any injector
problems because they said its had to start
on vege oil and vege oil will gum up the injectors
if you stop with it.

willy
I remember this too where people would have two tanks. One to start and stop and one to run on

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #82  
I remember this too where people would have two tanks. One to start and stop and one to run on
I think that's primarily because BD has a higher gel point. With two tanks, you have a mechanism to warm the BD/waste veg oil tank (probably with a coolant hose) and in cooler weather you can't switch over until you're certain there's liquid available. Switching back isn't required in warm climates but in cold you definitely want to clear out the pipes before shutting down.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #83  
The start/stop and run tanks have been around for a long time. Obviously, it works best for methodical folks with long engine run times at a go. It is about gelling (@ning ), and it is also about pure vegetable oil not igniting all that well in a cold engine.

Propel's HPR has been around for quite awhile. Propel uses Neste (not Nestle!) NEXBTL diesel, which is a hydrogenated vegetable oil, with a higher cetane number than regular diesel, lower aromatic hydrocarbon level, and slightly lower energy density (which means lower HP/mileage). Unlike biodiesel, Propel's HPR doesn't have any special lubricity, i.e. as bad as conventional ULSD. More here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neste_Renewable_Diesel

TL;DR, HPR diesel is a mostly renewable fuel, close to diesel. Close.

All the best,

Peter

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #84  
The start/stop and run tanks have been around for a long time. Obviously, it works best for methodical folks with long engine run times at a go. It is about gelling (@ning ), and it is also about pure vegetable oil not igniting all that well in a cold engine.

Propel's HPR has been around for quite awhile. Propel uses Neste (not Nestle!) NEXBTL diesel, which is a hydrogenated vegetable oil, with a higher cetane number than regular diesel, lower aromatic hydrocarbon level, and slightly lower energy density (which means lower HP/mileage). Unlike biodiesel, Propel's HPR doesn't have any special lubricity, i.e. as bad as conventional ULSD. More here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neste_Renewable_Diesel

TL;DR, HPR diesel is a mostly renewable fuel, close to diesel. Close.

All the best,

Peter

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #85  
How does the price of this Propel fuel compare with regular diesel?

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #86  
How does the price of this Propel fuel compare with regular diesel?
Here in Northern California, price at the station nearest me is halfway between the highest and lowest local diesel prices listed on Gasbuddy within a reasonable distance. In other words, priced the same as petroleum diesel.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #87  
Best way to compare costs is BTU/$. Also need to factor-in time and or delivery costs.

I am still getting off-road delivered for a price (which, of course, includes delivery fee) that comes in less than at-pump pricing. Minimum delivery/order is 100 gallons.

In general, diesel in my area is always cheaper (on-road as well as off-road) than gasoline. More BTUs and cheaper is a no-brainer; it's why I drive diesel cars (my daily drivers).

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #88  
Thank you! I went and read the Propel and Wikipedia sources you cited.

[Wikipedia] It does not have any of the drawbacks of the traditional ester type FAME biodiesel, such as cold operability, 'best before' date, engine and fuel system deposit formation, risk for microbial growth and water pick up, engine oil dilution and deterioration.[citation needed]

So Propel is made in proper refineries, with quality control. If half those assertions are true, this sounds far better than the suspected raw used cooking oil I was sold as 'biodiesel' some 10 years ago, that was so hard starting.

I'll try some Propel HPR.

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #89  
Thank you! I went and read the Propel and Wikipedia sources you cited.

So Propel is made in proper refineries, with quality control. If half those assertions are true, this sounds far better than the suspected raw used cooking oil I was sold as 'biodiesel' some 10 years ago, that was so hard starting.

I'll try some Propel HPR.
Propel has been around for awhile, and while there a few complaining posts that I found from 2015, nothing much since. (And the one I did find seemed more like troll posts.)

Personally, I can't speak to HPR in particular, but I do remember when they set up their first biodiesel refinery and they did a great job of it, opting for state of the art direct transesterification, and sensibly locating by the harbor for easy bulk oil access. All very astute.

My $0.02, if it were me, I would add a lubricity additive to the HPR, as you have older machines that were designed for a fuel that had more lubrication in it.

All the best,

Peter

/ Off road diesel - How do you find locations? #90  
School busses use ON road though 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I don't really care what they do but I have seen they fill up at off road Diesel pump in our county. 😙

Last edited: