Off-Road Diesel

/ Off-Road Diesel #21  
One conclusion I have come to is that if it has the dye, all bets are off.. It's not taxed, so the regulations are not as strong.. Like has been said, it depends on where you are and where it comes from. I have heard stories of large ammounts of kerosene being sold as off road diesel(dont see a cost advantage).. I truely belive you need to trust your supplier for diesel, simply because of its tendancy to be contaminated.

/ Off-Road Diesel #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One conclusion I have come to is that if it has the dye, all bets are off.. It's not taxed, so the regulations are not as strong.. Like has been said, it depends on where you are and where it comes from. I have heard stories of large ammounts of kerosene being sold as off road diesel(dont see a cost advantage).. I truely belive you need to trust your supplier for diesel, simply because of its tendancy to be contaminated. )</font>

The thought crossed my mind, as I was filling my cans w/ off road, that the on road might be more fresh (?) due to larger volume sales. Does "freshness" matter with diesel?
Also...do you guys use any additives?

/ Off-Road Diesel #23  
<font color="blue">do you guys use any additives?

===== </font>

I use 3 ounces per 5 gallon of diesel fuel year round.
Here is the easiest way to do it.
Pour 9 ounces of Power Service from the white bottle into a baby bottle.
Take a black felt tip marker and mark the 3 6 and 9 oz measurements on the baby bottle.
Once you've done this you will never have to mess with cleaning up a funnel and measuring cup again after adding the 3 ounces of power service to the 5 gallon can of diesel fuel
~~~~~~~~~

/ Off-Road Diesel #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The thought crossed my mind, as I was filling my cans w/ off road, that the on road might be more fresh (?) due to larger volume sales. Does "freshness" matter with diesel?
Also...do you guys use any additives? )</font>

Yes and Yes, to both answers....Make that absoloutly to both...

/ Off-Road Diesel #25  
<font color="blue"> Here is the easiest way to do it. </font>
No, the easiest way to do it is put 3 oz of water in a measuring cup, pour the water into the sink and form a mental picture of how much 3 oz is. Do this once, then pour that much into the 5 gallon container before you fill it. I do this every time I fill my diesel containers.

No need for marking a baby bottle or transferring PS to a baby bottle.

Note: It doesn't hurt if you pour in more than 3 ounces into the 5 gallon container. Therefore no need for precise measurements.

/ Off-Road Diesel #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> Here is the easiest way to do it. </font>
No, the easiest way to do it is put 3 oz of water in a measuring cup, pour the water into the sink and form a mental picture of how much 3 oz is. Do this once, then pour that much into the 5 gallon container before you fill it. I do this every time I fill my diesel containers.

No need for marking a baby bottle or transferring PS to a baby bottle.

Note: It doesn't hurt if you pour in more than 3 ounces into the 5 gallon container. Therefore no need for precise measurements. )</font>

Mike, sounds like you may have tended bar at some point /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.. I happen to agree, its not that big of a deal, as long as you are adding at least the the right amount. Too much wont hurt, just a little waste.. At $7 per bottle, no big deal..

/ Off-Road Diesel #27  
<font color="blue"> Mike, sounds like you may have tended bar at some point </font>
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Off-Road Diesel #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What's the difference between off road fuel and regular fuel oil for your furnace, if any??
)</font>
The local Ashland Marathon bulk plant here told me both are the same.

/ Off-Road Diesel #30  
<font color="blue"> The thought crossed my mind, as I was filling my cans w/ off road, that the on road might be more fresh (?)
*due to larger volume sales.
Snal~ BX24
********* </font>
Mull this one over.
*This theory has been expressed over and over on the tractor boards but I seriously question the logic due to the following.

The Ashland * Marathon bulk plant here distributes the red off road diesel to farmers contractors loggers and excavation companies.
The volume of the off red diesel is so great that Ashland * Marathon
Has two other distributors assisting then with deliver of the red diesel.
Contrast this with the local go mart truck stop selling the clear on road diesel to the truckers.

Who do you think is selling the most and freshest diesel Ashland * Marathon and the 2 other distributors or the Go Mart station?