off road lights

/ off road lights #1  

Tul01

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 John Deere 5115M, 1928 and 1945 hand start John Deere D's,
My brother in law has a set of heavy duty halogen lights wired in by someone else. They started blowing fuses in the rain then all the time. I helped him rewire, solder and shrink wrap all the connections. Turn them on and there was light. For about 10 seconds until it blew the 20 amp fuse:confused: BIL doesn't remember what the original fuse was. It seems to me that the fuse should either be larger or it is wired in wrong. There is a 40 amp relay in the system. It is wired relay, black and white to switch, relay one red (fused )to the battery terminal and relay one red to the lights. The lights are grounded to the frame. I always thought the purpose of the relay was to take the brunt of the power from the battery to the lights so you don't burn up fuses. Should I have put a 40amp fuse in?

/ off road lights #2  
Really, as much current as those lights are drawing, you should run a separate circuit with properly sized wiring and fuse straight from the battery to protect the lights and wiring. Not to mention possibly preventing an electrical fire. You didn't say what they are installed on, but honestly, those lights may just be a bit too much.....

/ off road lights #3  
I have 100 watt Hella's on my truck, I don't think any of the fuses would handle them so they are just on a toggle in the dash straight from the battery. No problem, just don't leave them on without the truck running.

/ off road lights #4  
I have 100 watt Hella's on my truck, I don't think any of the fuses would handle them so they are just on a toggle in the dash straight from the battery. No problem, just don't leave them on without the truck running.

100W at 12 volts is only 8.3 amps/light. A 40amp relay and a 40amp fuse (with the correct wire) would handle 4-5 lights no problem (and leave you with a smaller wire and a lighter switch in the cab.
You should at very least put a fuse within 6" of the battery. It would be a shame if the wire wears through, shorts, overheats and burns down your truck just for the lack of $7 worth of fuses and a fuseblock.

Socket: Amazon.com: 12 VDC 5-PIN RELAY SOCKET: Electronics
Relay: Amazon.com: 12 VDC Waterproof Relay SPDT 30/40A with Metal…
Fuse Block: Amazon.com: In-line ACT Water-resistant Fuse Holder - 10 AWG:…

Aaron Z

/ off road lights #6  
100W at 12 volts is only 8.3 amps/light. A 40amp relay and a 40amp fuse (with the correct wire) would handle 4-5 lights no problem (and leave you with a smaller wire and a lighter switch in the cab.
You should at very least put a fuse within 6" of the battery. It would be a shame if the wire wears through, shorts, overheats and burns down your truck just for the lack of $7 worth of fuses and a fuseblock.

Socket: Amazon.com: 12 VDC 5-PIN RELAY SOCKET: Electronics
Relay: Amazon.com: 12 VDC Waterproof Relay SPDT 30/40A with Metal?/url]
Fuse Block: [url=http://www.amazon.com/line-ACT-Water-resistant-Fuse-Holder/dp/B0002KR88A]Amazon.com: In-line ACT Water-resistant Fuse Holder - 10 AWG:?/url]

Aaron Z

I did put an inline fuse in. Sorry about the lack of info. But thanks for looking out for little ole me. Just an idea for him

/ off road lights #10  
definately made me think about all the somewhat uneducated responses I have posted. I'll do better. Now if I could just think up one of my own.
I really don't claim to know a lot about electronics but I can usually handle simple things.