Off-Season Plans

/ Off-Season Plans #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Anyone doing anything over the winter between haying seasons? Buying new equipment? New hay tools? Picking up more ground? Getting out? :(

I would like to trade my Magnum MX270 for a similar size tractor with a loader.
Kind of desperate for another beefy loader tractor for square bales.

As alternatives, I could put a loader on my the MF7495, or buy a 4th tractor with a loader, but that would be more than I would like to spend.

/ Off-Season Plans #2  
Need to replace some dust covers on tie rods.

Lots of normal maint I saved up for winter.

Big truck needs the tangled mess of wires that make the lights work cleaned up and probably LED upgrades since I'm at it.

Need to rebuild a Stihl Kombi.

Have a few welding projects I need to get to now that it's cool.

No big plans :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
   / Off-Season Plans #3  
No big plans here. Just finished maintenance on my hay rake. Next up is the Tedder.

Did pick up a neighbor’s parcel to cut next year. Bushhogged it this fall and going to spray and fertilize it in the spring if the landowner will sign a written contract for the next few years.

/ Off-Season Plans #4  
I don’t get an Off-Season..
By the time planting season is done down here in S.C, it’s winter up North, and all of the small tractors and diesel snow blowers & generators that sat w/o additive in them try to start for the season, DONT..
I can’t remember the last time I “planned” a vacation.!!

/ Off-Season Plans
No big plans here. Just finished maintenance on my hay rake. Next up is the Tedder.

Did pick up a neighbor’s parcel to cut next year. Bushhogged it this fall and going to spray and fertilize it in the spring if the landowner will sign a written contract for the next few years.
That’s good !!
Hoping to pick up another parcel this winter. The owner is disatissfied with current farmer. Brought me on board to farm another adjacent parcel as a “test” period. He seems to approve, so keeping my fingers crossed.

Last night, I found a Magnum MX-240 with CAPS pump replaced with improved pump and turned up with a Quicke 990 loader upstate from me. Owner seems like a good guy. Has all the features I want (4 sets of remotes, creeper range)
It has 10,500 hours on it, but I’ll only run it ~100 hours a year. Could be a good replacement for my MX-270. Would like to have both……

/ Off-Season Plans #6  
Building a chicken coop on an existing foundation 13x13 foot. Oddball size, but it was how the local masons dimensions worked out for CMU block. The foundation is actually 13 x 39 feet. So the extra past the 13 x 13' will be the chicken run.

/ Off-Season Plans #7  
My list of plans is growing faster then my list of things that I'm getting done!!!

Fencing is ongoing and never ending.

Garage addition is closed in and weather tight, but still just a shell with House Wrap for siding. That list is too long to think about!!!

Back porch needs lights and then the ceiling needs to be finished. I have the tongue and groove cedar for the ceiling, but haven't bought the can lights yet.

Chickens need more perches in the coops. I might do that this weekend.

Backhoe has a long list of things that need fixing. I'll do some of them this weekend, but then put off the rest while I remove trees for the never ending fence project.

I need more firewood. I have two cords stacked and split and one cord at my Moms house. I probably have enough, but more would make me more comfortable.

I have a few pallets of mulch that need to be spread around the gardens and dog runs.

We want to add more raised beds to the vegetable gardens and I really need to put a pump in the big pond with a line going to the gardens to water them. Paying for city water is absurd!!

We will find out on the 19'th if one of our dogs is pregnant. We brought her to Arkansas to be artificially inseminated a few weeks ago. If it worked, then I need to get ready for that nightmare. Puppies are fun when they are about 6 weeks old, but until then, they are a massive pain!!!!

I need to replace two 36 inch windows with 36 inch exterior doors so we can get to some of our dog runs. I'm also going to put another 36 inch exterior door in our office wall for a dug run that I haven't built yet. I gotta build that fence too!!!

When that's all done, I need to quadruple the size of my barn, build a hay barn, build a dock and eventually, build my work shop. I'm sure I'll be fixing tractors along the way, and none of this includes removing 40 acres of mesquite at my other farm 60 miles away from where I live.

Writing this down is a little bit overwhelming. I'll just do a little here and there, and keep at it until more things get added to the list.

/ Off-Season Plans #8  
My list of plans is growing faster then my list of things that I'm getting done!!!

Fencing is ongoing and never ending.

Garage addition is closed in and weather tight, but still just a shell with House Wrap for siding. That list is too long to think about!!!

Back porch needs lights and then the ceiling needs to be finished. I have the tongue and groove cedar for the ceiling, but haven't bought the can lights yet.

Chickens need more perches in the coops. I might do that this weekend.

Backhoe has a long list of things that need fixing. I'll do some of them this weekend, but then put off the rest while I remove trees for the never ending fence project.

I need more firewood. I have two cords stacked and split and one cord at my Moms house. I probably have enough, but more would make me more comfortable.

I have a few pallets of mulch that need to be spread around the gardens and dog runs.

We want to add more raised beds to the vegetable gardens and I really need to put a pump in the big pond with a line going to the gardens to water them. Paying for city water is absurd!!

We will find out on the 19'th if one of our dogs is pregnant. We brought her to Arkansas to be artificially inseminated a few weeks ago. If it worked, then I need to get ready for that nightmare. Puppies are fun when they are about 6 weeks old, but until then, they are a massive pain!!!!

I need to replace two 36 inch windows with 36 inch exterior doors so we can get to some of our dog runs. I'm also going to put another 36 inch exterior door in our office wall for a dug run that I haven't built yet. I gotta build that fence too!!!

When that's all done, I need to quadruple the size of my barn, build a hay barn, build a dock and eventually, build my work shop. I'm sure I'll be fixing tractors along the way, and none of this includes removing 40 acres of mesquite at my other farm 60 miles away from where I live.

Writing this down is a little bit overwhelming. I'll just do a little here and there, and keep at it until more things get added to the list.
I was wore out just reading that list... you need some help with all of that.

One good thing about being in the same place a long time is the building work is mostly done and all that is needed is the odd repair and maintenance.

/ Off-Season Plans #9  
Seemingly never ending job of clearing out nuisance trees and brush. Recent forestry mulching reduced my work load, but still more to do by chainsaw.

/ Off-Season Plans #10  
Spring, summer, and fall is pretty much a guaranteed 7 day a week ordeal, so winter for me is recuperation time. Need to recharge the batteries for the next growing season, which starts in early February.

except for this year, we had new cabinets installed in kitchen and 3 bathrooms.
So much more work for me both before and after cabinet install than I expected.
when I finally finish this project, I’m gonna sit on the couch, and do nothing for the rest of winter.
If the boss will let me that is.