off-set disc

/ off-set disc #11  
We pulled this 9' off-set with a 1958 JD 720D (54 HP);

I do not know how you pull that disc with 54HP. You may move it, but working it is another story. You need to run pretty good speed, 5-7 MPH. Any less and you are not getting out of the disc what it is capable of. I have that same JD disc, and when you put it all the way in the ground, 80 HP is not enough to hold proper speed. Usually I pull it with my 1066 IH (over 100 HP, and pushing 18-20K in weight) That JD disc works that tractor, and tears up a lot of dirt off the tires when it is being used.

If all you have is 62 HP to pull this, you will need a small off set to match to your tractor.

/ off-set disc #12  
I do not know how you pull that disc with 54HP. You may move it, but working it is another story. You need to run pretty good speed, 5-7 MPH. Any less and you are not getting out of the disc what it is capable of. I have that same JD disc, and when you put it all the way in the ground, 80 HP is not enough to hold proper speed. Usually I pull it with my 1066 IH (over 100 HP, and pushing 18-20K in weight) That JD disc works that tractor, and tears up a lot of dirt off the tires when it is being used.

If all you have is 62 HP to pull this, you will need a small off set to match to your tractor.

Dad bought that disk new around 1969 & quit moldboard plowing. Wheels up in 4th gear on the 720, tractor pulled it just fine! As memory serves, we were probably running up to 5" deep, depending on the ground. We would also use a JD spring chisel every few years, again depending on the ground. It started out with 20 or 22" blades, when I sold it 1-1/2 years ago the biggest blades were 18". ~~ grnspot

/ off-set disc #13  
The 720 was quite a puller as were all the two bangers. Lots and lots of torque! Even though they were not high HP, they could pull. IIRC, that was a 4 bottom tractor. Take a current 53 HP tractor and try to pull a 4 bottom plow, good luck.

I do have to say that I have 22" blades on my disc, and they are set as aggressively as they will go, so it really takes a bite when I pick up the gear. I also pull it with the 1066 in 5th and 6th gear which can top out pushing 8 MPH all wound up.