Oh Deere

/ Oh Deere #2  
The adjustment to the DMCA puts the farmer's in the right - if you sell a piece of equipment and software is required to run that equipment, then you (the mfr.) are also selling that software (not a license) and cannot prevent an OWNER from messing with the software. They can prevent service companies (non-owners) from offering to service or alter that software. Self-hacking vs. hired help. It's really sad that a company like Deere that was built on the backs of American farmers is now all about the profits no matter who they squeeze for them.

/ Oh Deere #5  
The adjustment to the DMCA puts the farmer's in the right - if you sell a piece of equipment and software is required to run that equipment, then you (the mfr.) are also selling that software (not a license) and cannot prevent an OWNER from messing with the software. They can prevent service companies (non-owners) from offering to service or alter that software. Self-hacking vs. hired help. It's really sad that a company like Deere that was built on the backs of American farmers is now all about the profits no matter who they squeeze for them.

What utter crap. JD is the only surviving US owned & US home based tractor/powered farming implement (combines, etc...). JD is the only company that is having to do this. NONE of the other tractor manufacturers are being targeted or even being asked (by the media) if it's the same with them. This a a US only situation...

Why? Because the US is a 'sue-happy' society. JD is only protecting itself, all of the other foreign 'home office' tractor manufacturers simply say "sue and be d@mned!"

Further to this; why would the owner of a US$90,000+ tractor (and investment) entrust that valuable asset to an un-tested, un-varified "hacked" computer programme?

Have a read of the other thread Mate.

/ Oh Deere #6  
What utter crap. JD is the only surviving US owned & US home based tractor/powered farming implement (combines, etc...). JD is the only company that is having to do this. NONE of the other tractor manufacturers are being targeted or even being asked (by the media) if it's the same with them. This a a US only situation... Why? Because the US is a 'sue-happy' society. JD is only protecting itself, all of the other foreign 'home office' tractor manufacturers simply say "sue and be d@mned!" Further to this; why would the owner of a US$90,000+ tractor (and investment) entrust that valuable asset to an un-tested, un-varified "hacked" computer programme? Have a read of the other thread Mate.

I know I would not trust my tractor to a hacked program. HOWEVER I don't think it is the governments right to tell me I cannot do so. If I want to hack and ruin my machine that is up to me.

/ Oh Deere #7  
Depends on how good the "hack" is, anyone here running a programmer on their diesel truck? What do you think that is? A "hack" of the pcm!