Oil - alt to Massey Ferguson Multiguard Oil - must meet MIL-L-46152 API Service CC or MIL-L-2104C API Service CD

/ Oil - alt to Massey Ferguson Multiguard Oil - must meet MIL-L-46152 API Service CC or MIL-L-2104C API Service CD #11  
Manual says use Massey Ferguson Multiguard Oil or equivalent that meets or exceeds MIL-L-46152 API Service CC or MIL-L-2104C API Service CD

Maybe Mobil Delvac Extreme 10W-30 Synthetic Blend Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil? Or maybe I could just use the Quaker State SAE10w-30 full synthetic?

Any suggestions?

View attachment 736418

View attachment 736420 View attachment 736421
Depends on how often you want to change oil. Use a dino oil, change as they say, 10w30. Got to synthetic and go to 300 to 400 hour changes, no time limit. Could use 0w30 or 5w30.

Use semi synthetic and go in between.

For me, my time and amount of waste oil I have to send back is important: synthetic.

/ Oil - alt to Massey Ferguson Multiguard Oil - must meet MIL-L-46152 API Service CC or MIL-L-2104C API Service CD #12  
^^^^
Interesting statement, not sure how you come up with it;

Group III​

Group III base oils consist of reconstructed molecules that offer improved performance in a wide range of areas, as well as increased saturation and molecular uniformity and stability. These synthesized materials can be used in the production of synthetic and semi-synthetic lubricants.

Group IV​

Group IV base oils are made from polyalphaolefins (PAO), which are chemically engineered, synthesized (synthetic) base oils. PAOs offer excellent stability, molecular uniformity and improved performance.

Group V​

Group V base oils are also chemically engineered stocks that do not fall into any of the categories previously mentioned. Typical examples of group V stocks are esters, polyglycols and silicone. As with group IV stocks, group V stocks tend to offer performance advantages over groups I – III. An example of a mineral-based group V exception is white oil, a very pure lubricant used in industries ranging from cosmetics to food processing.

/ Oil - alt to Massey Ferguson Multiguard Oil - must meet MIL-L-46152 API Service CC or MIL-L-2104C API Service CD
All of my engines are on full synthetics either Amsoil or Rotella T6 usually 5W-40,
with one exception my Dynahoe with a 4-53 Detroit gets a straight 30 or 40 weight,
the two stoke diesel was never spec'ed for a multi-grade oil and was actually noted not to use a multi-grade.

The lowest temp I ever run the tractor is at about 0 degrees Fahrenheit in winter, plowing the snow on the driveway, and our summers can get over 100 degrees Fahrenheit making for some hot days mowing. I think 15W-40 would be adequate as long as I go full synthetic to help with startup on those cold winter days, right? Or would you recommend 5W-40 instead for those temps?

There's either an oil supply shortage or there's panic buying going on right now............selection of oil on the shelf is pretty poor right now.

I don't change my oil too often, I put maybe 100 to 150 hours on my tractor a year, so synthetic makes the most sense for me. Here's three full synthetic options I've found on the shelf:

Shell Rotella T6 15w-40 full synthetic
Mobil Delvac Extreme Heavy Duty Full Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil 15W-40
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil

Which would you guys pick of those three?

2022-03-09 09_03_41-Greenshot.jpg
f935b5e5-bd1c-482c-adae-4b29a0d5dbf7.01858e55ee9385f36eafdbf305aa8c17.jpeg
11045141_mob_122271112825_pri_larg.jpg

/ Oil - alt to Massey Ferguson Multiguard Oil - must meet MIL-L-46152 API Service CC or MIL-L-2104C API Service CD #14  
I don't like a 15W in the winter, even with the synthetic's waiting and watching for the oil pressure to come up on an engine with a mechanical gauge there is quite a difference in time. I've been using the 5w-40 for quite awhile now.

/ Oil - alt to Massey Ferguson Multiguard Oil - must meet MIL-L-46152 API Service CC or MIL-L-2104C API Service CD
I don't like a 15W in the winter, even with the synthetic's waiting and watching for the oil pressure to come up on an engine with a mechanical gauge there is quite a difference in time. I've been using the 5w-40 for quite awhile now.
So you'd have no hesitation with running in 100 degree weather mowing with a 5w-40?

/ Oil - alt to Massey Ferguson Multiguard Oil - must meet MIL-L-46152 API Service CC or MIL-L-2104C API Service CD #16  
you are changing it now ? then you will change it before the winter ... you should always change your oil before the winter more importantly your oil filter so it doesn't freeze. If you are changing it now and will change it again before the winter mine as well to put some 15w40 but if you won't change it for the winter id put the 5W40.

see the link below there is a really good explanation

Last edited:
   / Oil - alt to Massey Ferguson Multiguard Oil - must meet MIL-L-46152 API Service CC or MIL-L-2104C API Service CD #17  
So you'd have no hesitation with running in 100 degree weather mowing with a 5w-40?

Not one bit. As long as it's good 5w-40 synthetic.

M1, Valvoline, T6.

Amsoil? Did they ever get all their oils API Certified? Last I checked; not. They're still good oil. Very good. Just, to me, they're not all that and a Happy Meal. If they were convenient and reasonably priced I'd use them but -- They are neither.

But none of it is anymore. I've got one oil change in my truck bed right now, waiting to be done. Thank goodness because it would cost me double had I waited to buy.

And it ain't gonna get any cheaper, cowboys.

/ Oil - alt to Massey Ferguson Multiguard Oil - must meet MIL-L-46152 API Service CC or MIL-L-2104C API Service CD #18  

It shouldn’t make all that much difference. If the thermostat and radiator is doing it’s job your summer time engine temp and winter temp shouldn’t be vastly different.

/ Oil - alt to Massey Ferguson Multiguard Oil - must meet MIL-L-46152 API Service CC or MIL-L-2104C API Service CD #19  
^^^^
Interesting statement, not sure how you come up with it;

Group III​

Group III base oils consist of reconstructed molecules that offer improved performance in a wide range of areas, as well as increased saturation and molecular uniformity and stability. These synthesized materials can be used in the production of synthetic and semi-synthetic lubricants.

They're high pressure hydrotreated oils from crude oil vacuum distillation. One catalyst is used to remove aromatics and sulfur. Another is used to remove wax.

Group IV​

Group IV base oils are made from polyalphaolefins (PAO), which are chemically engineered, synthesized (synthetic) base oils. PAOs offer excellent stability, molecular uniformity and improved performance.
Think this group is also made by synthesizing natural gas up to lube oil molecule length. Pennzoil advertise that they are doing this. You get the same lube oil as from breaking down PAOs.

A similar lube oil can be made by putting side chains on wax molecules. Not sure this makes it a Group III or Group IV but the end result is the same as a Group IV oil. This is likely one of the blend stocks that Mobil 1 use in oils not needing PAO quality oil.

Group V​

Group V base oils are also chemically engineered stocks that do not fall into any of the categories previously mentioned. Typical examples of group V stocks are esters, polyglycols and silicone. As with group IV stocks, group V stocks tend to offer performance advantages over groups I – III. An example of a mineral-based group V exception is white oil, a very pure lubricant used in industries ranging from cosmetics to food processing.
These are esters used to lube gas turbines and jets. Been manufactured for years, longer than Group III or IV ones.

Group I are solvent treated oils.

Group II are high pressure hydrotreated oils to remove aromatics but are solvent dewaxed.
It shouldn’t make all that much difference. If the thermostat and radiator is doing it’s job your summer time engine temp and winter temp shouldn’t be vastly different.
Even 20w and 30w oils will work at high ambient temperatures because ambient never goes as high as the (typically) 190 F coolant temperature that the oil "sees". Oil in a water cooled engine will operate at 210-230 F irregardless of ambient temperature.

If you followed those oil charts (and I've been at a loss to contact anyone at ASTM for an explanation as to why those upper temps are included), you'd be shutting down your tractor when it got too hot outside out of superstition.

There are VW diesels running all over the world in all kinds of climates with typically 5w30 oil in their crankcases. They've never had an engine failure due to lubricant.

Thanks again for all of the info! I went to Tractor Supply and got 2.5 gallons of the Mobil 1 Delvac ESP Heavy Duty Full Synthetic 5W-40 for $54.99

It was slim pickings in the diesel oil aisle.

2022-03-09 16_56_05-Greenshot.jpg