Oil analysis, where?

/ Oil analysis, where? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
This might be an odd situation....but the frugal part of me is coming out.

Wife's cousin, next door, has an International 444. Various hydraulic leaks so from time to time, it needs oil added.

I just acquired an International 1066 and am slowly going through it (fixed funky gear selector, add muffler, oil change...)

The 1066 uses HyTrans and I don't think that is specifically suggested for the 444.

I don't know what's in the 1066 so intend on replacing it, probably in spring (since I hate working in the cold).

Hytrans is 'about' $105/bucket (5-gallons) and I think I need something like 26 gallons so was planning on buying 30 gallons so I'd have some left over.

This means I have to dump about 26 gallons of OLD fluid. I do not know if it's hydraulic fluid or Hytrans or Pepto-Bismol.... (well, it's not pink so it's probably not Pepto)

I don't want to just dump the fluid if it's still good, especially since we have a leaking 444 (that he refuses to put money into to fix).

So, I'm thinking, if I could get the old hydraulic fluid, whatever it may be, in the 1066 analyzed, it might be found to be trash.... or maybe 50% trash.

If it's still usable, I'm wondering about the merits of hanging on to it to filter and put into the leaking 444 so it's not just dumped.

Thoughts?

If you get it analyzed, WHERE do you send it.

/ Oil analysis, where? #3  
I use Blackstone Labs. Go to their website and request a sample kit. Cost me $28 for each analysis. Worth every penny !

/ Oil analysis, where? #4  
My nephew is loaded up with old IH's like 856, a couple 986s, 1486, 4386, couple 3588's. All are running on generic hydraulic fluid because Hy-Tran is too expensive for tractors and implements that leak profusely. Remember fluids have changed a lot over the years and Hy-Tran today is a lot different than when these were built. Today's Hy-Tran still does not use zinc for anti-wear, different than most generic hydraulic oils, but it seems like overkill to use a fluid designed for today's transmissions in a tractor that except for the TA is a basic transmission. If you do the oil analysis and find significant zinc you will know the previous owner used something other than Hy-Tran.

/ Oil analysis, where? #5  
This might be an odd situation....but the frugal part of me is coming out.

Wife's cousin, next door, has an International 444. Various hydraulic leaks so from time to time, it needs oil added.

I just acquired an International 1066 and am slowly going through it (fixed funky gear selector, add muffler, oil change...)

The 1066 uses HyTrans and I don't think that is specifically suggested for the 444.

I don't know what's in the 1066 so intend on replacing it, probably in spring (since I hate working in the cold).

Hytrans is 'about' $105/bucket (5-gallons) and I think I need something like 26 gallons so was planning on buying 30 gallons so I'd have some left over.

This means I have to dump about 26 gallons of OLD fluid. I do not know if it's hydraulic fluid or Hytrans or Pepto-Bismol.... (well, it's not pink so it's probably not Pepto)

I don't want to just dump the fluid if it's still good, especially since we have a leaking 444 (that he refuses to put money into to fix).

So, I'm thinking, if I could get the old hydraulic fluid, whatever it may be, in the 1066 analyzed, it might be found to be trash.... or maybe 50% trash.

If it's still usable, I'm wondering about the merits of hanging on to it to filter and put into the leaking 444 so it's not just dumped.

Thoughts?

If you get it analyzed, WHERE do you send it.

I think you can go to any Caterpillar tractor dealer, and pick up a kit to mail in to an independent lab, and they will mail a printout back to you.

/ Oil analysis, where? #6  
Blackstone labs is the place to go they are by far the largest and have the best feedback on results for autos, aircraft and equipment.

/ Oil analysis, where? #7  
Blackstone labs is the place to go they are by far the largest and have the best feedback on results for autos, aircraft and equipment.

I have never heard of a Blackstone labs store, but.....I believe that CAT dealers all sell the Blackstone kits, and there are CAT dealers everywhere.

/ Oil analysis, where? #8  
I use Caterpillar's SOS service. Cat also has a book that fully explains how to read all your results and what they mean.

/ Oil analysis, where? #9  
I use Blackstone Labs. Go to their website and request a sample kit. Cost me $28 for each analysis. Worth every penny !

I have never heard of a Blackstone labs store, but.....I believe that CAT dealers all sell the Blackstone kits, and there are CAT dealers everywhere.

Blackstone - Blackstone Laboratories – Oil Analysis – Learn What's Going On In Your Engine