Oil Analysis

/ Oil Analysis
Re: 50 hr Engine Oil Analysis by Darr

Viscosity is reported in centistokes which represents oil flow time through a calibrated glass capillary tube at a standard temperature.

Glad you asked. Now is that the same as 10 Weight?

/ Oil Analysis
Re: 50 hour Hydraulic Oil Analysis by Darr

The M6800 Hydraulic Oil 50 hour Sample analysis came back as Normal wear on a first sample basis.

Viscosity Not Tested
Copper 2 ppm
Iron 8 ppm
Lead 1 ppm
Aluminum 2 ppm
Silicon 6 ppm
Molybdenum 1 ppm
Sodium 27 ppm
Magnesium 16 ppm
Tin 1 ppm
Zinc 1130 ppm
Phosphorus 1070 ppm
Calcium 3500 ppm

No Water
Chrome,Potassium were all 0 ppm

They also tested particle size which I would assume is primarily from the disk brakes (driving with the emergency brake on) and from the pto clutch which is also in the hydraulic fluid on this tractor.

Large Particle Size
> 5 9,135 ppm
>10 1,408 ppm
>15 96 ppm
>20 31 ppm
>25 14 ppm
>50 2 ppm
>75 0 ppm
>100 0 ppm
ISO CODE 20/14 (whatever that means)

This is the original hydraulic fluid from the transmission/rear end that came in the Tractor from Kubota. If anyone can speculate any more than that, please post for everyone to see. I have no idea whether the metals came from the tractor or came in the oil originally since I did not obviously have an unused sample. Maybe someone else will take a sample at zero hours and we can then compare. The oil in the front differential was different and was a red color where this oil was a brown color.

The analysis was done by DARR Equipment Co 1-800-733-3277 They sell the vials for between $10 and $15 each for the analysis.

/ Oil Analysis #13  
Thanks Andy-I agree with your wisdom. Bought a new Super Duty (V10) and am putting together my maintenance program. Being an engineer, I spend way too much time thinking about these types of things.

/ Oil Analysis #14  
Re: 50 hour Hydraulic Oil Analysis by Darr

Wen, Thanks for the post on your oil analysis. Since I'm not a metallurgist/chemist nor engineer (When it comes to making a glass of chocolate milk, I still have problems getting the powdered milk chocolate to marry up with the milk) does anyone in the group know what the acceptable ranges/limits are for all the elements listed in an oil analysis??

/ Oil Analysis #15  

Here's some 'rough' guidelines. I'm reading this off a logarithmic scale so this isn't as exact as it looks:

For crankcase oils
SAE 10W is approximately ISO 32 and is 30-40 cS at 40C, 5-6 cS at 210F
SAE 20W is approximately ISO 46,68 40-80 cS at 40C, 6-10 cS at 210F
SAE 30W ISO 100 80-120 cS at 40C, 10-15 cS at 210F

/ Oil Analysis

Can you translate that against the reading for engine oil or hydraulic fluid? Sounds like less than 10W for engine oil and not sure what the iso number meant for hydraulic fluid.

/ Oil Analysis #17  

Oops, I reread my post and I think by putting in both SAE and ISO info. together (English and metric!) I was being obtuse! The data was for "crankcase" oil which I'm certain is your "engine" oil. I've also got SAE gear oil info. but for some reason my chart didn't have hydraulic oils. I'll look again when I go back into work next week. For reasons that are beyond me, 40C appears to be a standard test temp. for ISO and 210F for SAE. I bet your sample at 10.4 is tested to the American spec's so I'm guessing it's a 30W (the number is on the high 20W, low 30W scale). Perhaps even more likely it's a multi weight 10W30 like what was theoretically originally in my boomer! If they ship it with a multiweight, they don't have to worry about whether it ends up in TX or MI!

/ Oil Analysis

I can see the 40 deg C as that is probably a decent summertime temperature. But it looks more like 5W rather than 30W. Yes, I thought it would definately be a multiweight oil or a very light break in oil. See if you have 40 degree at 10 CS that will translate to a 5W or so number.

Where are all our heavy equipment operators when we need them?

/ Oil Analysis #19  

Yes, 40C, 10 cS looks like it's 5W. It's kind of funny - the bottom of the 5W range on my chart is covered up by a note so I can't say what the range really is!

/ Oil Analysis #20  

I will try to explain how we utilize oil analysis in naval aviation. Most jet engines are on routine oil analysis, every 10 hrs, 20 , 30 hrs, etc, depending on the age and past history. All engines produce various wear metals (depending on wear surface and bearing designs) and there will always be various amounts in each sample. New engines require an average of three samples in the first several hours to establish their baseline averages. These baseline averages are compared to established tables to see how they fall out. Once we go to the hourly cycles we look for jumps in wear metals that possibly show an increase in wear. The first sample really gives no help but to establish baseline figures. Do not be worried by the fact that you have metals in suspension as this is normal. IMHO unless the oil lab or the dealer can provide you with established metal limits you are not gaining any knowledge unless you routinely provide samples and look for large increases. Just for info military jets use synthetic oils and most never change it until the engine is pulled for major inspections (average 800 flight hours). Sorry to take so long but I used to run oil sample machines and am sold on the idea for aviation.