oil and filter change

/ oil and filter change #1  

Jimc295

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey GC1705, Kubota B7100
Did my 1st oil change today. I had 18.5 hours on the HM. I didn't search on here for filters but did a cross on the baldwin site and came up with Baldwin Heavy Duty B7356 Spin-On Lube Filter. I like Baldwin and their filter case is RED so what's not to like. LOL
I should have done this a little earlier but guessing I'm still good, getting all the casting crap and any new metal that might be floating around waiting til 50 hrs wasn't gonna happen.

/ oil and filter change #2  
As long as the filter & oil meet the standards for your tractor you will be OK. I just get my oil & filters from the local Kubota dealer. The filters are a bit more expensive - the oil is same price as Rotella. I change everything on the recommended schedule. Hasn't hurt anything in the 38+ years I've had a tractor out here. I've had two brand new tractors out here - never found much of any type of metal when doing filter changes.

You indicate your tractor has 18.5 hours on the meter. What does your Op Manual recommend for the first oil/filter change. Sooner than 18.5 hours - ???

/ oil and filter change
As long as the filter & oil meet the standards for your tractor you will be OK. I just get my oil & filters from the local Kubota dealer. The filters are a bit more expensive - the oil is same price as Rotella. I change everything on the recommended schedule. Hasn't hurt anything in the 38+ years I've had a tractor out here. I've had two brand new tractors out here - never found much of any type of metal when doing filter changes.

You indicate your tractor has 18.5 hours on the meter. What does your Op Manual recommend for the first oil/filter change. Sooner than 18.5 hours - ???

1st change is 50 hours. I am old school so have always on a new engine, car,truck, tractor,mower etc change the oil and filter soon after 1st operation (maybe 10hrs or 200 miles). The engines today have much tighter tolerances than 20 years ago so it isprobably not needed but it is a habit. Can't hurt :)

/ oil and filter change #4  
No, you are ABSOLUTELY right. It won't hurt a thing. Besides - you will get that OEM oil filter removed that has been tightened on by a 900 pound gorilla. Get one back on that has been installed with reasonable tightness. Sometime I wonder if the OEM filters don't include a dab of RED LockTite on the threads.

Just a little humor from the folks on the factory assembly line.........

/ oil and filter change #5  
No, you are ABSOLUTELY right. It won't hurt a thing. Besides - you will get that OEM oil filter removed that has been tightened on by a 900 pound gorilla. Get one back on that has been installed with reasonable tightness. Sometime I wonder if the OEM filters don't include a dab of RED LockTite on the threads.

Just a little humor from the folks on the factory assembly line.........

Spin-on oil filters should be hand tightened only during installation after lubricating the rubber seal ring. A filter wrench should be used for removal only. The exception to this is my BMW motorcycle oil filter which is recessed and must use a wrench on the filter flutes for removal and installation. Also, my RAV4 has a reusable filter housing that requires a special tool for removal and installation.

/ oil and filter change
Spin-on oil filters should be hand tightened only during installation after lubricating the rubber seal ring. A filter wrench should be used for removal only. The exception to this is my BMW motorcycle oil filter which is recessed and must use a wrench on the filter flutes for removal and installation. Also, my RAV4 has a reusable filter housing that requires a special tool for removal and installation.

My camry is just like your Rav4. I had to use my filter wrench/vice grips to remove the filter but as you stated only hand tight to put it back on.

/ oil and filter change #7  
My camry is just like your Rav4. I had to use my filter wrench/vice grips to remove the filter but as you stated only hand tight to put it back on.

Jimc,

There is a torque spec for tightening the Toyota RAV4 filter housing. It is 18 lb. ft. but if one uses common sense when hand tightening, all will be well.

/ oil and filter change
I did not know about the tq spec for the toyota but hand tight for that would not work for me it takes quite a few turns to bottom mine out and it gets very hard to turn. thanks for the info, my hand tight comment was about the tractor spin on filter.