Oil and hydro fluid

/ Oil and hydro fluid #1  

Johnagain

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4310
I've got 50 hours on my 4310 and I was wondering what oils peole are running. I want to change to a synthetic but want to use other than JD oil. I would also like to find out what transmission oils are good to use and can yo use synthetic for the hydrolics. I have used Mobil One in everything I own in the past.

/ Oil and hydro fluid #2  
I run Mobil 1 in the engine, HyGard Low Vis in the hydro.

/ Oil and hydro fluid #3  
Same for me: Hygard low vis in hydraulics/transmission and Mobil 1 in the engine.

Don't think you get much benefit from using synthetics in the transmission or hydraulics. Those oils are probably the most refined and least amount of additives of any of the oils (I worked for 31 years in plants that made them; these type oils typically were 105-115 plus VI vs. about 95 VI for base engine oils where additives were used to boost VI to 140). There aren't engine byproducts going into them to break them down, and they don't get as hot as engine oil to promote excessive oxidation. Think you'd need to change out the hydraulic filter well short of the life of the synthetic oil and would therefore lose it when you do the change out or would have to do some carefull catching and filtration to put it back if you saved it. Don't think there's anywhere near a cost benefit associated with synthetics in the transmission/hydraulics. In the engine, there are 3-4% power and fuel economy savings plus extended drain to pay for the higher cost of the synthetic.

Folks in the Gravely arena have actually had adverse effects of using synthetics. Seems they're too slick for the clutches submerged in the oil to work properly.

Ralph

/ Oil and hydro fluid
Thanks for the input on oils. I figured that running mobil 1 in the engine would be ok but wanted to check about the other oils. I have heard from people on motorcycles about clutches slipping but I haven't had any such problems with my bike. but it's no problem to change just 3 or 4 quarts in a motorcycle if a problem occurs, but on a tractor if I have problems then that takes lots of oil and money to change out.

/ Oil and hydro fluid #5  
which exact Mobile 1 are you referring? Just the stuff you can buy in Walmart? What weight? 5w30, 10w30 ? I'm in Colorado.. maybe 10F to 110F. Thanks much

/ Oil and hydro fluid #6  
Is the hygard low vis only at the JD dealer?

/ Oil and hydro fluid #7  
I use Mobil 1 bought at Sam's Club.

If you're leary of using 5w30, Walmart now carries 5w40 "SUV and truck" Mobil 1. I switched to this in my 1983 Benz. Started off using a mix of 5w30 and 15w50 Mobil 1 to get the 10w40. Lower vis on the 1st number is an indicator of startup vis, which will be even higher because startup is -40 to about 80 F vs. 40 C or 104 F that the lower vis grade is taken at.

Ralph

/ Oil and hydro fluid #8  
John,
FWIW, I put Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30, and Amsoil synthetic Hydro Trans fluid in my 4310 at the 50hr change.

I live in northern VT and one of the reasons I went with synthetic is b/c I thought it would be better performing in our cold winters.

/ Oil and hydro fluid #9  
I use Amsoil HDD 15-40 in my 4310 as well as my GMC Duramax. I use Hygard Low Vis for the transmission and it has worked well in the cold winter and summer temps. I changed everything at about 50 hours and put 130 more hours on it since the spring. In your temperature zones, I personally would recommend the Amsoil 15-40 and the regular Hygard. Just my opinion of course. You should check the oil and lube section for this info. There is a member GSXR1100 (I think that is his name). He seems to know quite a bit about oils etc and could enlighten you on Mobil 1 oils.

/ Oil and hydro fluid #10  
hey guys new to the forum, this is my first post. I read the posts all the time and really enjoy the insight that is shared on this board. I noticed this topic and funny enough I was just thinking of a related issue. My family has a new Deere 3120 compact utility tractor with ehydro. Well the other day I checked the trans. fluid and noticed it was a little low. I happened to have some JD Hy-gard fluid on hand and used it to fill it up. Well afterwards I noticed that the recommendation called for low viscosity hy-gard and i used just regular hy-gard. I realize the difference is the operating temp of the two fluids and the hy-gard is fine for my temp range. But my question is did I do anything bad by combining the low-viscosity the regualr hy-gard? I olnly added a small amoutn of regular hy-gard. Also one last concern. I checked my front axle fluid and it was real low, not on the dipper so i added some fluid to top it off. Why could this be, just not enough added from the factory, only 43 hours on the tractor? No leaks, could the fluid have gone elsewhere to make it low? Thanks in advance for you help with my issues, always appreciated <font color="green"> </font>