Oil change for diesel lawn tractor

/ Oil change for diesel lawn tractor #11  
I use syn. in everything.Zero issues with the 5w40 everthing starts good up here in the frozen north country,just my thoughts:thumbsup:Dave

/ Oil change for diesel lawn tractor #12  
Got a reply from Lombardini this morning. They said that 15w-40 or 10w-30 (depending on temprature) is OK. Now I'm off to the auto store....Nick

/ Oil change for diesel lawn tractor #14  
I sure wouldn't run that common 15w-40 in the winter, though. That's a bit much for cold morning starts when you need to plow/snow blow.

Not true. 15W-40 is a multi-grade oil that acts like 40 weight once it's heated up. The "W" after the 15 stands for "Winter", which means it's is the relative cold weather starting weight. If your motor was designed for 20W, it'll start even easier with 15W in there. The multi-grade oil will be thicker than designed once up to temp, but that'll be fine too.

Personally, I run Rotella 15W-40 diesel oil in everything - tractors, mowers, dirtbikes, ATVs, generator, etc.

JayC

/ Oil change for diesel lawn tractor #15  
Got a reply from Lombardini this morning. They said that 15w-40 or 10w-30 (depending on temprature) is OK. Now I'm off to the auto store....Nick

Just make sure the 10w30 is rated for diesels (i have not seen a 15w40 that wasnt diesel rated)

good luck

Brian

/ Oil change for diesel lawn tractor #16  
I also checked with my dealer. My new B3200 Kubota will be used year round, mowing in the summer and snow blowing in the winter. My dealer said that he likes 15W-40 year round. I guess since Mobil Delvac has a current rebate, I'll pick up three gallons. I also bought a block heater and will be storing my tractor in my garage.

/ Oil change for diesel lawn tractor #17  
I also bought a block heater and will be storing my tractor in my garage.
That would be acceptable but with out the above i would go with a lighter oil in the winter for sure.

and your dealer shouldn't be making recommendations like that out side of what the manufacture list for temp/oil viscosity operations.

For year around use i'd use a HDEO 5w40 or 10w30

/ Oil change for diesel lawn tractor #18  
He's not. In my Kubota manual is states that 15W-40 is acceptable for all temperature ranges.

/ Oil change for diesel lawn tractor #19  
Not true. 15W-40 is a multi-grade oil that acts like 40 weight once it's heated up. The "W" after the 15 stands for "Winter", which means it's is the relative cold weather starting weight. If your motor was designed for 20W, it'll start even easier with 15W in there. The multi-grade oil will be thicker than designed once up to temp, but that'll be fine too.

Personally, I run Rotella 15W-40 diesel oil in everything - tractors, mowers, dirtbikes, ATVs, generator, etc.

JayC

I pour lots of different weights of oils in my shop, which is sort of the neighborhood "get it fixed and maintained place".

You took exception to my displeasure with 15w-40 in brutal cold, winter start ups. "Not true", you called it. That's OK. Differing thoughts, but 15w-40 cannot and will not flow as quickly as a 5w-40 nor a 10w-30, not by a long shot, in my experience. Yes, it is a true statement. It is true that there's no way 15w-40 is in my machines at -10 degrees.:D:D

/ Oil change for diesel lawn tractor #20  
He's not. In my Kubota manual is states that 15W-40 is acceptable for all temperature ranges.
Your manual lists a 15w40 for approved fluids? i didn't think they recommended that heavy strange, they usually state something like 32 deg and bellow 10w30 and above 32 a 10w30/10w40 for that engine.

Kubota Tractor USA - Lubricants Schedule