Oil Change intervals?

/ Oil Change intervals? #1  

nickmags

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
My L4701 just went over 200 hrs. Did the initial 50 hr. oil and filter change. I used premium oil and Kubota filter. The owner's manual says to change oil every 400 hrs. It has been 15 months since the original 50 hr. oil change. Oil still looks okay, darker, but not coal black from soot. Note to those engineer/techno types - Not going to send it out to get it analyzed, cheaper and easier to just change it. My question to folks is, at current usage rate it will be 3+ years on an oil change. Seems like a long time, maybe too long. Tractor sits a lot lately, due to ongoing health issues. (Getting old sucks!) Just wondering what others are doing in similar situations. I'm leaning towards changing it sooner rather than later. Don't figure it would hurt anything. Oil and filter are not cheap, but when compared to cost of tractor or engine re-build, dirt cheap!!

/ Oil Change intervals? #3  
They usually recommend (for vehicles in general) every 12 month used or not probably for condensation purposes or maybe its for the oil life in general, unopen shelf life for oil is 5 year ... in my area I would change it because of the winter I wouldn't want that condensation to freeze... If the oil is only half it's usage life I certainly wouldn't changes the filters every time.

so with that being said I would change it...

/ Oil Change intervals? #4  
I change my engine oil strictly based upon hours. It ends up being about every 3 years or so between changes.
I will add that I am religious about ensuring that the engine gets up to operating temperature and worked every time it is started. It also gets run regularly throughout the year.

/ Oil Change intervals? #5  
I change my engine oil strictly based upon hours. It ends up being about every 3 years or so between changes.
I will add that I am religious about ensuring that the engine gets up to operating temperature and worked every time it is started. It also gets run regularly throughout the year.
is your tractor stored inside ?

/ Oil Change intervals? #6  
My tractors are stored inside and I've done this with all of them. Haven't had any trouble in over 40 years.

That being said, changing sooner is cheap insurance.

/ Oil Change intervals? #7  
is your tractor stored inside ?

Yes. Always.
I would likely rethink my interval choice if it were stored outside, but I also change my road vehicle's oil every 2 years or so based upon miles driven. I think cars and trucks are generally less prone to water intrusion than tractors, and I also don't "short trip" them either.

/ Oil Change intervals? #8  
yeah its a good point to clarify, Op lives in a fairly warmer climate so not so critical for him...

Water and acid is a byproduct of combustion... there is water in all fuel from condensation, water don't burn, it end up in the oil and filters, water and cold don't mix well .... It will evaporate after a while of being operated that's true but only for the water in the oil not the water trap in the filter (at least I think),... I've never pay too much attention on my oil changes for my road vehicles once the millage is up I change it before the winter or not I don't pay attention and also never had a problem but that's at least once or twice a year... But I make sure I changes my tractor oil before the winter for these reason plus since it sit most of the winter. I am more critical on oil changes the less I used a piece of equipment one would think it be the other way around but its not, longer it sit the oil and water will separate and can cause a rust spots on internal component which can cause catastrophic failure.

/ Oil Change intervals? #9  
Every 50 hours on my mowers and tractors, which actually works out to once per year.

200 or 400 hours oil chance interval on my tractor or mower - no way no matter what the manufacturer, or anyone else says!

Oil & filters are cheap compared to engines.

/ Oil Change intervals? #10  
to me it depends on your particular use to determine interval change in addition to straight hrs of operation. multiple cold short runs imho is not doing the sump oil any favors, so i'd change more frequently. most of my application is utility use exceeding 1hr or more per session.

although your manual states 400 hr interval changes, i would never consider that many hours for change intervals, esp if one is putzing around the compound most of the time w/low annual hrs of operation

keeping in mind newer interval change recommendations are more about environmental impact rather than what's good for engine longevity

Last edited: